What's new

What's the best career advice you've ever recieved?

Thread starter #1
I met with a career coach yesterday, which was AWESOME. I told her I felt stuck with where I'm at, and I'm worried that in a few years I'll realize I wasted valuable time to get ahead in my career.
Her advice was to take it one step at a time: what do you want your resume/portfolio to look like in 2 years?
I'm in my busy season at work so it feels like my time is all being used up for things that won't really affect my career in the long run, which is discouraging, so her advice really hit me, and as I get through my busy season I'm going to be more intentional about creating bigger/more goals and achieving them.

What's been the best career (or even just life) advice you've ever received?

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
For career/life - "What's the one thing you could do today, that by doing it, everything else will be easier or unnecessary?"

For life in general - "Believe that life is always happening for you, not to you."

For career - "Under promise, over deliver"

There's others but off the top of my head that's what I've got!

Last edited:

Teliah Gienger

I don't know if this is quite what you were looking for, but the best advice I ever received(or at least the one I remember most) is:

"Only you can decide how something will affect you." It's simple but it is huge when life gets challenging with work, relationships, etc.

The best advice I received in college was to start a blog. I rolled my eyes at the time, but it has helped me become a writer in ways I never could have wished for.

Best career advice came from Steve Jobs' commencement speech. I'd quote from it, but the whole video deserves attention. I've watched it 30+ times in my life. Man I miss him.

cvans

Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again. - Steve Jobs

Teliah Gienger

The best advice I received in college was to start a blog. I rolled my eyes at the time, but it has helped me become a writer in ways I never could have wished for.

Best career advice came from Steve Jobs' commencement speech. I'd quote from it, but the whole video deserves attention. I've watched it 30+ times in my life. Man I miss him.

I miss him too.