What's new

What does it take to lead

Gerrit

Thread starter #1
hi dropouts,

I have four questions for you:
1. What quality must a leader have for you to follow him or her?
2. What quality in yourself do you use to lead when you are in the position?
3. What quality must a leader have for you to leave them before the job is done or your contract is over?
4. What thing in yourself has had negative impact on leading or working together with people in the past?

Try to not get too cliche but make it something you personally feel/think/believe.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

Teliah Gienger

Dang. These are awesome questions. Ok, let's see...

1. I willingly follow leaders who are teachable. I want them to be well-versed in what they know, but I love and respect a leader who is constantly learning and being teachable.
2. Hmm...why is it always harder to pin point your strengths? I would say that I'm really good at listening to the team and implementing ideas that are a win-win for both parties. I'm also really even-keel when it comes to leading. Mentally and emotionally I'm really steady.
3. Gosh...I don't think this has ever happened, but the times that I've been significantly irritated, the leader was honestly not being a team player. I know that is kind of cliche, but when you have someone who is just barking orders, it gets old really fast. But, I would then say that, they were not being a leader and just a boss.
4. I get cold and tend to forget about people's feelings in certain situations in business. That is probably the consistent thing I need to be reminded of how I come across in business. :)

What about you?

Gerrit

Thread starter #3
Dang. These are awesome questions. Ok, let's see...

1. I willingly follow leaders who are teachable. I want them to be well-versed in what they know, but I love and respect a leader who is constantly learning and being teachable.
2. Hmm...why is it always harder to pin point your strengths? I would say that I'm really good at listening to the team and implementing ideas that are a win-win for both parties. I'm also really even-keel when it comes to leading. Mentally and emotionally I'm really steady.
3. Gosh...I don't think this has ever happened, but the times that I've been significantly irritated, the leader was honestly not being a team player. I know that is kind of cliche, but when you have someone who is just barking orders, it gets old really fast. But, I would then say that, they were not being a leader and just a boss.
4. I get cold and tend to forget about people's feelings in certain situations in business. That is probably the consistent thing I need to be reminded of how I come across in business. :)

What about you?
I really love finding out about people’s thoughts about this subject. Around the cliches you find the personal details that paint the picture of how to be a leader and who to except as a leader.
1. Vision and empathy. I need a leader to have a bigger goal and be able to understand the effort my work takes 2. I have the empathy part. I now how to appreciate people’s work and ask them the questions they need to open up further 3. I leave when a leader is selfish and arrogant. Screwing people over to look good one level up and not appreciating the work employees do 4. My own character flaw in this direction might be the fear of confrontation. Finding it hard to tell people they’re wrong.

3. What quality must a leader have for you to leave them before the job is done or your contract is over?
4. What thing in yourself has had negative impact on leading or working together with people in the past?
1. I willingly follow people whose values and goals I share, if they are further along the journey than I am and I can learn from them.
2. Empathy. I try to get people on board by communicating to them that I understand the position they are in, that I care about what they want to achieve and that I will make sure that my plan is going to align with their goals and values.
3. If a leader turns out to be hypocritical, contrived, dishonest or unreliable.
4. Self-doubt, a fear of looking arrogant and conceited for aspiring to a leadership role and the possibility of being mocked and put down by my peers as a consequence.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
hi dropouts,

I have four questions for you:

Try to not get too cliche but make it something you personally feel/think/believe.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts.
  1. I follow leaders who have both accomplished greater things than me that align with what I want to accomplish, and I follow leaders who have a vision greater than mine that align with a vision I have for myself. I guess to sum that up, I follow leaders that unequivocally inspire and influence me.
  2. I use communication and a strong vision. I also use the very nuanced ability of influence. It's hard to put a finger on. But I feel like you can kind of turn it on and off...this ability to influence people. It's probably a mixture of extreme commitment to a vision yourself, and then the ability to communicate that vision well enough with people to get them so excited they can't help but jump on board. The mark of a great leader is someone who can clearly show others what their current situation is, what it could be, and then inspire them to act on the difference. Even better if he does it ahead of them and outlines specific steps.
  3. If the leader becomes full of themselves, hypocritical, power hungry, or just non-sensical.
  4. Overthinking things and not making quick decisions plus general self doubt. If you doubt yourself, how can you expect others to follow you?

Teliah Gienger

1. I follow leaders who have both accomplished greater things than me that align with what I want to accomplish, and I follow leaders who have a vision greater than mine that align with a vision I have for myself. I guess to sum that up, I follow leaders that unequivocally inspire and influence me.
  2. I use communication and a strong vision. I also use the very nuanced ability of influence. It's hard to put a finger on. But I feel like you can kind of turn it on and off...this ability to influence people. It's probably a mixture of extreme commitment to a vision yourself, and then the ability to communicate that vision well enough with people to get them so excited they can't help but jump on board. The mark of a great leader is someone who can clearly show others what their current situation is, what it could be, and then inspire them to act on the difference. Even better if he does it ahead of them and outlines specific steps.
  3. If the leader becomes full of themselves, hypocritical, power hungry, or just non-sensical.
  4. Overthinking things and not making quick decisions plus general self doubt. If you doubt yourself, how can you expect others to follow you?
LOVE #2. ;)

Gerrit

Thread starter #8
Interesting, as a leader in your own business you probably think a lot about leading. But do you still have leaders in your life as well? What relation do they have to you?

Gerrit

Thread starter #9
Also vision is super important for me. If I believe in a cause I can work ten times as hard. If I think a job is pointless on the other hand I will eventually fail even with targets and bonuses attached to it.
Which is why it’s so important to get your people behind your vision for real. Which doesn’t happen if you just write one down and make everyone read it.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Also vision is super important for me. If I believe in a cause I can work ten times as hard. If I think a job is pointless on the other hand I will eventually fail even with targets and bonuses attached to it.
Which is why it’s so important to get your people behind your vision for real. Which doesn’t happen if you just write one down and make everyone read it.
It's so true. Vision casting is really an art. The ability to get people so excited about something that they would even work for free to see it through....that's a skill worth cultivating if you want to truly lead.