What's new

What are you working on? Let's hear your answers!

Sam

Hey Sam! I was on twice. If you are interested/concerned with overloaded practices, an area worth serious inquiry is medical office workflow. I'm of the firm opinion that we do not have a doctor shortage, but rather we have them doing a lot of unnecessary stuff every day. My father is a physician and approx. 45% of his week is not seeing patients. In some specialties it is as high as 91% (this is for the local hospital network here, who did an internal survey a few years back). I solved it with behavioral health, although it would be a little different in different areas of medicine. I won't pretend to understand Scotland however.
Yeah I thought it was you! Nice to meet you, really awesome to hear about the transformative work you're doing :D
That's an interesting point, and possibly worth looking into a little. Over here though, with free healthcare, the government is making lots of cuts at the moment which is really damaging the National Health Service and making healthcare a miserable place to work. Nurses have only just been given a pay raise for the first time in years after a ludicrous amount of campaigning and strikes (which are not taken lightly by those in the medical profession!) and there is a real possibility that there will begin to be a serious doctor shortage in the UK. It doesn't help that lots of EU doctors are probably going to lose their livelihoods here once Brexit pulls through. Essentially a lot of this turmoil and what we're hearing in our relationships with these doctors is that the medical practices are indeed overloaded, which is why it's so important to point patients towards resources which may be more relevant - booking an appointment with your doctor for every little thing just isn't sustainable anymore.

Essentially a lot of this turmoil and what we're hearing in our relationships with these doctors is that the medical practices are indeed overloaded, which is why it's so important to point patients towards resources which may be more relevant - booking an appointment with your doctor for every little thing just isn't sustainable anymore.
Very interesting! Are you offering services yourself? Or are you looking to do service linkages for now and perhaps build into that later?

Yeah my approach has been to look at patient populations and treat everything that they need, rather than have a clinic that just offers services based on a specific specialty. So in today's world a patient may hit 4 different doctor's offices in a year, they could hit my clinic and have 2 or 3 of them taken care of in the same visit.

I don't know enough about Scotland's healthcare system, or others around the world. I just can see a very broken one here at home.

Sam

Very interesting! Are you offering services yourself? Or are you looking to do service linkages for now and perhaps build into that later?

Yeah my approach has been to look at patient populations and treat everything that they need, rather than have a clinic that just offers services based on a specific specialty. So in today's world a patient may hit 4 different doctor's offices in a year, they could hit my clinic and have 2 or 3 of them taken care of in the same visit.

I don't know enough about Scotland's healthcare system, or others around the world. I just can see a very broken one here at home.
We offer Web services and redirect to the most relevant resources/clinics/services etc. In future we'll be building out more IT infrastructure and advanced software once we have the traction.

That sounds like a great solution to the problems you're having over there. We're promoting more or less the opposite of what you are haha! With the free healthcare system the burden of the population's healthcare needs has to be spread out as the single point of contact with medical practices here isn't working.

We offer Web services and redirect to the most relevant resources/clinics/services etc. In future we'll be building out more IT infrastructure and advanced software once we have the traction.

That sounds like a great solution to the problems you're having over there. We're promoting more or less the opposite of what you are haha! With the free healthcare system the burden of the population's healthcare needs has to be spread out as the single point of contact with medical practices here isn't working.
Yeah care coordination is abysmal right now. Hospitals are setup poorly, medical record systems do not talk to each other, it's hard enough treating patients with regulations before considering constant coordination with other providers.

Hopefully you can hit some serious traction if you haven't already. I have been trying to encourage more healthcare entrepreneurship amongst friends. Such a huge problem within the largest industry (at least in the US).

Sam

Yeah care coordination is abysmal right now. Hospitals are setup poorly, medical record systems do not talk to each other, it's hard enough treating patients with regulations before considering constant coordination with other providers.

Hopefully you can hit some serious traction if you haven't already. I have been trying to encourage more healthcare entrepreneurship amongst friends. Such a huge problem within the largest industry (at least in the US).
I don't think there's anywhere in the world where health couldn't be improved. suitable IT infrastructure is sorely needed globally to make things better,

I appreciate it! Thanks man :)

It's really awesome what your doing I know in Cincinnati and around where I live which is a good hour east of cincy the opioids and heroin has gotten so out of hand. Also with all of that there is human trafficking involved I just don't know how much public attention it gets but I know a woman that helps a lot of people who are addicts and have insider knowledge on human trafficking in the city.
The healthcare system is ridiculous and I have some strong opinions about it but I have heard of direct care doctors that seem to be gaining traction and other avenues available in health insurance but I can't remember what the insurance company was called.

It's really awesome what your doing I know in Cincinnati and around where I live which is a good hour east of cincy the opioids and heroin has gotten so out of hand. Also with all of that there is human trafficking involved I just don't know how much public attention it gets but I know a woman that helps a lot of people who are addicts and have insider knowledge on human trafficking in the city.
The healthcare system is ridiculous and I have some strong opinions about it but I have heard of direct care doctors that seem to be gaining traction and other avenues available in health insurance but I can't remember what the insurance company was called.

Thanks! And sorry for the delay in responding; I moved this week and it's been a bear and a half. I'm not open yet with my new venture, but my old one did a lot of good. It was so great shaking patients' hands and watching them heal in just a short time frame.

Sexual assault, especially in childhood, is one of the most common things that I did not expect to witness. It is closely tied to addiction. Many forms of trauma are. I helped a woman who was one of our first patients and she had been a victim of sex trafficking for a year or two. Couldn't believe the story she had. Lucky she got out of it alive. Addiction attracts some of the most damaged of all of us, as a means of escape. And then those people cannot escape it on their own. The whole situation is surreal.

And Ohio is a battleground no doubt; not unlike my area in Southwestern Pennsylvania. It is one of two states I'm looking at once I can get this damn thing off the ground here in PA.

alexhugo

Hey everyone, I know I'm a little late to the party, but here's what I got cooking:

- Put together a real estate investment team and we are looking at jumping into a 60-unit apartment complex and a commercial redevelopment project in an emerging local neighborhood.
- Leading the development of a trail of artificial climbing boulders in my local park
- Building/rebuilding a software for generating more targeted real estate leads.

Teliah Gienger

Hey everyone, I know I'm a little late to the party, but here's what I got cooking:

- Put together a real estate investment team and we are looking at jumping into a 60-unit apartment complex and a commercial redevelopment project in an emerging local neighborhood.
- Leading the development of a trail of artificial climbing boulders in my local park
- Building/rebuilding a software for generating more targeted real estate leads.
Dang. That's incredible! An apartment complex is great. Where is it located?

Gerrit

Sounds awesome man. Curious what are you using to build the software?