What's new

Time management. How to learn to get a full night's sleep and not use an alarm clock (under normal circumstances).

Thread starter #1
I've learned how to adjust my schedule to my body clock. I get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. I don't use an alarm clock unless I need to get up earlier to get something done that requires me getting up earlier.

I've learned that it takes me approximately 45 minutes to get ready to go to work. I go to bed, at a time that gives me 8 hours of sleep time, plus 3 hours to wake up and do whatever, before I must start getting ready for work. I start getting ready for work, one hour before I must start work. 99.9% of the time, I roll into work 5 minutes before clocking in.

Lately, I've been giving myself one hour to wake up and mess around, before I spend 2 hours of doing daily tasks at home, before getting ready. It feels really good to wake up naturally instead of being abruptly waken up by an alarm clock. Your mileage may vary.

Try it out. Take note in how much time you need to get to certain levels of waking up, getting little tasks done at home, then getting ready for work. It seems better that relying on the clock to get you up and running for the day. Just my opinion.

Thread starter #4
I work second shift so I get home between 1 to 2am. I go to bed at 4am. I shoot for 12pm to wake up. I don't suggest starting without an alarm. Going to bed at the same time everyday, even days off, is a start. Another idea is set the alarm for 9 hours after you go to bed. Ideally, it depends on your body clock, you should naturally wake up before the alarm. If you go to bed earlier, that's fine. If you wake up before 8 hours, and your body is telling you its had enough sleep and is ready to get up, then get up. The body likes routines. If you set a schedule that this is going to be my bed time, then it should adjust eventually.

I also have a fan in the room, blowing away from me. It is to drown out other noises that might make me wake up in a quiet room too easily.

Teliah Gienger

This is great advice Terry! I would love to wake up without an alarm...and most days I do wake up pretty naturally...not necessarily at the time I would like but it's still pretty good. :)