What's new

The journey of the drop out artist and youth coach

Anastasia

Thread starter #1
Hello SD!

So, I thought I'd create a thread in here, since I really want to reach out and connect more to like minded individuals (and I know that there are many of you awesome people in here!). Also to get some support and input. Oh yeah, and accountability is also always a good thing :p

Since I dropped out of school in 7th grade, I've been working on figuring out what I want and develop my skills within my interests. This has happened to be mostly art and coaching/personal development. I for sure don't have all the answers yet and I doubt that I'll ever feel like I do. So instead I'm getting okay with just trying out things, seeing how they go and adjust accordingly!

My biggest goal right now is to get myself financially stable. I have very few expenses and close to no debt. I just need to figure out how to create more income and here I'd really love to hear your input! My plan is to get income from my coaching and artwork. So far I've been able to make a little money on my art and I'm working on expanding that further. Besides that I'm also working on starting a coaching business, with the focus of helping young people believe in themselves and their dreams.

As things are now, I just finished updating my art website and am really happy about that. You can check it out here: http://anastasia-elkjaer.dk/en/
I think the way for me to get further in this, is to figure out how to sell prints and set up a webshop. Another side of this, is that I've also been making workshops on the island where I live and will make more during this summer. Decoupage on bottles is also one of my projects. I want to figure out how to print my own design on napkins, to make more unique bottles. These can be sold to tourists, on markets and also on the webshop. The interest for these bottles have been good so far, so I think it's promising.

The coaching business I'm still working on. It will be in danish, but if you are curious, you can see what the website looks like so far: http://unicorncoaching.dk/
As a start I want to mainly focus on 1 on 1 coaching, but with time I'd like to offer online courses and lectures on schools. And probably more, that I am not yet aware of.

I will keep you updated on how all this goes. Stay awesome!

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Anastasia! Your art looks amazing! Glad to have you in the community.

You may enjoy connecting with @april-mclaurin who's full time job is creating art for hotels. In terms of art, I'm sure you know that it's a harder trade to earn a substantial living from, and so you'll have to be creative with how you apply your skills. April may be a good one to talk to about this since she has been able to turn her passion for art into a full time job. :)

You're website and portfolio look amazing btw.

As for the one on one coaching, have you done much before? Or what is your past experience there if any? Just trying to understand more. :)

Anastasia

Thread starter #4
Hey Kylon, thank you for your input!
For sure art is not the easiest, but I'm willing to give it my all and we'll see where it goes :)

To answer your question about the coaching, I took an education soon two years ago and volunteered on that same education the next year. There I coached the same 5 young people for 6 months and following their transformation was amazing!

I'll keep you updated ??

Sam

Staff member
Hello SD!

So, I thought I'd create a thread in here, since I really want to reach out and connect more to like minded individuals (and I know that there are many of you awesome people in here!). Also to get some support and input. Oh yeah, and accountability is also always a good thing :p

Since I dropped out of school in 7th grade, I've been working on figuring out what I want and develop my skills within my interests. This has happened to be mostly art and coaching/personal development. I for sure don't have all the answers yet and I doubt that I'll ever feel like I do. So instead I'm getting okay with just trying out things, seeing how they go and adjust accordingly!

My biggest goal right now is to get myself financially stable. I have very few expenses and close to no debt. I just need to figure out how to create more income and here I'd really love to hear your input! My plan is to get income from my coaching and artwork. So far I've been able to make a little money on my art and I'm working on expanding that further. Besides that I'm also working on starting a coaching business, with the focus of helping young people believe in themselves and their dreams.

As things are now, I just finished updating my art website and am really happy about that. You can check it out here: http://anastasia-elkjaer.dk/en/
I think the way for me to get further in this, is to figure out how to sell prints and set up a webshop. Another side of this, is that I've also been making workshops on the island where I live and will make more during this summer. Decoupage on bottles is also one of my projects. I want to figure out how to print my own design on napkins, to make more unique bottles. These can be sold to tourists, on markets and also on the webshop. The interest for these bottles have been good so far, so I think it's promising.

The coaching business I'm still working on. It will be in danish, but if you are curious, you can see what the website looks like so far: http://unicorncoaching.dk/
As a start I want to mainly focus on 1 on 1 coaching, but with time I'd like to offer online courses and lectures on schools. And probably more, that I am not yet aware of.

I will keep you updated on how all this goes. Stay awesome!
Great goals! I had a look at your artwork site and it's stunning, your work looks incredible!
Keep us updated for sure, excited for you going forward!

Anastasia

Thread starter #6
Great goals! I had a look at your artwork site and it's stunning, your work looks incredible!
Keep us updated for sure, excited for you going forward!
Thank you so much for your encouraging words Sam!

As an update on my decoupage project, I wrote out on the local mailing list we have here on the island to ask if someone had used wine bottles I could get. And the response was overwhelming! The local shop has 6000 bottles I can get. And many more on the island have offered me some. So I don't think I'll run out of supply for the next time to come ?

Next week I will go full in on making decoupage bottles, so I can get more practice and make some that are worth enough to sell. I'll attach a photo so you can see what a finished bottle looks like, together with some of those who are only primed. IMG_20180327_191529.jpg

Sam

Staff member

As an update on my decoupage project, I wrote out on the local mailing list we have here on the island to ask if someone had used wine bottles I could get. And the response was overwhelming! The local shop has 6000 bottles I can get. And many more on the island have offered me some. So I don't think I'll run out of supply for the next time to come ?

Next week I will go full in on making decoupage bottles, so I can get more practice and make some that are worth enough to sell. I'll attach a photo so you can see what a finished bottle looks like, together with some of those who are only primed. View attachment 29
You're more than welcome!

That's an incredible response, it's amazing what people give you when you just ask ?

These are stunning by the way, absolutely love it! How much do they sell for?

Anastasia

Thread starter #8
You're more than welcome!

That's an incredible response, it's amazing what people give you when you just ask ?

These are stunning by the way, absolutely love it! How much do they sell for?
I haven't put any up for sale yet, but I'm thinking about 17 euro :)

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member

Next week I will go full in on making decoupage bottles, so I can get more practice and make some that are worth enough to sell. I'll attach a photo so you can see what a finished bottle looks like, together with some of those who are only primed. View attachment 29
Whoa, that's pretty cool.

Do you have an Etsy shop?

Anastasia

Thread starter #11
Nice, have you checked out Etsy for similar products to check out pricing? Make sure you don't undervalue your products!
Thanks for the tip Sam! Just checked out Etsy. There are a few things that seem similar, but not really. From what I can see my pricing seems suitable, so that's good!

Whoa, that's pretty cool.

Do you have an Etsy shop?
Thank you. And no, I don't actually. I think I'll do some research and eventually start one!

Gerrit

Wow I really like this!! awesome!!
Could this work to sell craft beer or some limited edition cocktail or something?
Or do you want to sell it only as unique limited art?
Anyway I love how it looks!

Sam

Staff member
Wow I really like this!! awesome!!
Could this work to sell craft beer or some limited edition cocktail or something?
Or do you want to sell it only as unique limited art?
Anyway I love how it looks!
That's a great idea! Bars and hotels could be a great market for this. And it would be an ongoing relationship as bars do tend to have a certain amount of glass breakages as the industry goes

Gerrit

Also one of my favorite stores: Etsy has great opportunity for personalized products, handmade anything, art etc.
Maybe that could help you get some customers world wide. Just be careful to be clear you don't except cancellations for already paid products, because for some reason Etsy doesn't return their cut and it will be your loss, not the customers.
(i found that out because I wanted to cancel an order after I already paid)
But it would potentially give you a world wide market.