What's new

Summer Mentorships & exciting things!!

Thread starter #1
Hey SD fam!!!
I recently decided to seek out some mentors for myself, mostly due to all the inspiration I get from all you wonderful people! It was something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, but after talking with some of you, I was tired of just thinking and ready to start taking action.
For now I’ve decided to table my side-hustle projects, because I’m feeling pulled in another direction for this season of my life. An opportunity came up for me to begin a dance mentorship with a dear friend of mine who’s signed with an agency in Atlanta and already has had a lot of opportunities in the industry. He’ll be moving in a year (and definitely not coming back to NC haha) and I know there’s so much I could learn from him, so I needed to go for this while I could. Just in 2 sessions with him, I’ve gained more knowledge and been challenged more than I ever have going to some studio classes the past 6 months.
And you guys, he is H U N G R Y. The man has made dance technique, musicality, textures, etc into a science and taught himself everything on his own just in the past 4 years. It's truly phenomenal. He’s the best dancer and teacher I know. I would have never had the guts to ask for a mentorship with him had I not been inspired by this group.
In addition to this, I’ve also gained another mentor in the realm of fitness and nutrition. The fitness part I’ve struggled with for many years, never having a set regimen other than dancing a lot (you need more than that though). This will be another big leap for me: doing an 8 week program with a fitness regimen, doing (another) Whole60 program, and lots of check-ins and accountability. With both of these mentorships combined I have quite the summer ahead of me, but I’m excited for the challenge and growth! I feel conflicted knowing that I have no **exact** goal other than gaining strength, health, knowledge, and just getting better at something I love. It’s also strange knowing that I’m tabling other projects for the time-being. But, I keep feeling a pull towards this, so I’m going to go with it for now.
It’s so true. You really are the average of the 5 people you hang around most and I’m surrounding myself with the best. It’s a great feeling.
I’ll try to have some updates along the way!

All that being said, I wanted to share a completed project by the dance crew I work with! We choreographed and directed our 3rd concept video that’s now live on Youtube! Check us out & enjoy!!!

I don’t know a lot of you personally, but just know that tons of you impact my life in so many ways! Thanks for the push and the inspiration!

Gerrit

And in return you inspire people here. Sounds awesome. I love that you overcame a block by asking this guy to be your dance teacher. And already are reaping the rewards!
Now that is inspiration.
Do you have a website or YouTube channel to promote your dance skills?

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Holy cow April! All this is amazing.

Love the video, very impressive.

I'm so glad you put yourself out there and asked for mentorship. Sounds like that's going to lead to a lot of really exciting opportunities!

Also stoked for your fitness journey! If you feel comfortable and like it could help hold you accountable, would love to see progress updates and/or pictures. That kind of thing is so motivating for others who may be struggling to find the motivation or commitment to take their physical health to the next level...myself included! ha

Sam

Staff member
Hey SD fam!!!
I recently decided to seek out some mentors for myself, mostly due to all the inspiration I get from all you wonderful people! It was something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, but after talking with some of you, I was tired of just thinking and ready to start taking action.
For now I’ve decided to table my side-hustle projects, because I’m feeling pulled in another direction for this season of my life. An opportunity came up for me to begin a dance mentorship with a dear friend of mine who’s signed with an agency in Atlanta and already has had a lot of opportunities in the industry. He’ll be moving in a year (and definitely not coming back to NC haha) and I know there’s so much I could learn from him, so I needed to go for this while I could. Just in 2 sessions with him, I’ve gained more knowledge and been challenged more than I ever have going to some studio classes the past 6 months.
And you guys, he is H U N G R Y. The man has made dance technique, musicality, textures, etc into a science and taught himself everything on his own just in the past 4 years. It's truly phenomenal. He’s the best dancer and teacher I know. I would have never had the guts to ask for a mentorship with him had I not been inspired by this group.
In addition to this, I’ve also gained another mentor in the realm of fitness and nutrition. The fitness part I’ve struggled with for many years, never having a set regimen other than dancing a lot (you need more than that though). This will be another big leap for me: doing an 8 week program with a fitness regimen, doing (another) Whole60 program, and lots of check-ins and accountability. With both of these mentorships combined I have quite the summer ahead of me, but I’m excited for the challenge and growth! I feel conflicted knowing that I have no **exact** goal other than gaining strength, health, knowledge, and just getting better at something I love. It’s also strange knowing that I’m tabling other projects for the time-being. But, I keep feeling a pull towards this, so I’m going to go with it for now.
It’s so true. You really are the average of the 5 people you hang around most and I’m surrounding myself with the best. It’s a great feeling.
I’ll try to have some updates along the way!

All that being said, I wanted to share a completed project by the dance crew I work with! We choreographed and directed our 3rd concept video that’s now live on Youtube! Check us out & enjoy!!!

I don’t know a lot of you personally, but just know that tons of you impact my life in so many ways! Thanks for the push and the inspiration!
This is great, excited for you! Really great video too :)

Teliah Gienger

April! This is amazing! Thanks for being real and open with us.

Your video was incredible and inspiring! I wish I looked that cool while dancing. ;) I'm excited to see how your fitness/health journey plays out. I love living a healthy life, so I hope you keep us updated or at least me. haha You can DM me!

Strong work!