What's new

Self starter... that doesnt finish?

Thread starter #1
Lol my creativity takes a screeching halt when I have to come up with titles, passwords, and user names.
My life currently.....
I married for the first time in 2014 dated since 2011 and I'm 38 yrs old. I had 2 boys 15 and 8 before I met my husband and we have a 2yr old son. I work for a company as a quality associate aka inspection aka babysit aka try to stay awake enough to catch other people's screw ups. I don't really like my job but it was my first and best chance to get any experience to become a lead which for me seems like the best position to be in because I can do all the things that I have found I like to do there instead of being stuck in a chair all day.
I get bored easily and fight sleep which I found out last summer is because I have narcolepsy!! Honestly I fight sleep quite a lot except when I'm doing things the get my mind engaged and I'm moving.
The work we do is building electronic assemblies as government contractors. Customers are Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Boeing for example. The bureaucratic red tape to do a simple thing is a nightmare and can take weeks or months to get an answer. Simply put, our government in the U.S is a joke and I firmly believe everyone in that's held office more than 4 years needs fired and made to live like a middle class citizen for a few years.
It's late for me and I need to get to sleep, I'll will add more about me as soon as I can. 🙄😪

Gerrit

I believe you are right about government work. It is the same in the Netherlands and even worse in Czech Republic where I lived for 3 Years. It seems that people who want an easygoing life without any challenges seek out government.

What is a lead? What does one do when one is a lead?

Teliah Gienger

The bureaucratic red tape to do a simple thing is a nightmare and can take weeks or months to get an answer. Simply put, our government in the U.S is a joke and I firmly believe everyone in that's held office more than 4 years needs fired and made to live like a middle class citizen for a few years.
FOR REAL.

Thanks for sharing a little bit about your story Rachel. So, what is it that you would love to do? If you could do anything!

Thread starter #4
I believe you are right about government work. It is the same in the Netherlands and even worse in Czech Republic where I lived for 3 Years. It seems that people who want an easygoing life without any challenges seek out government.

Basically a production line leader under the supervisor. Making sure operators have what they need and planning the days production and getting things communicated.

Thread starter #5
FOR REAL.

Thanks for sharing a little bit about your story Rachel. So, what is it that you would love to do? If you could do anything!
Well photography and making art and drawing. Id love to do urban photography of old historical and abandon places. I do that as a hobby sometimes even named in Beautiful Decay Exploration. I signed up on redbubble but getting the time to make sure all the offered products look right is time consuming. I was asked to do team pictures for 8yr old soccer team so I'm looking for online print companies. I mentioned going to a game to get all the kids in action to add on the picture's. She seemed to really like that.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member

Haha this is SO true. I've worked for and with the government, and this sums it up pretty well. Except for certain parts of the military.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well photography and making art and drawing. Id love to do urban photography of old historical and abandon places. I do that as a hobby sometimes even named in Beautiful Decay Exploration. I signed up on redbubble but getting the time to make sure all the offered products look right is time consuming. I was asked to do team pictures for 8yr old soccer team so I'm looking for online print companies. I mentioned going to a game to get all the kids in action to add on the picture's. She seemed to really like that.
Ever thought about starting a photography business? It's kind of cliche these days I know...but if you really enjoy it and apply yourself (and of course it take time), you can do really well. I have several professional photographers in my life who own their own company and they're killing it. Although it took them time to get there and they are masters at their craft. @Tavis is one. Owns http://memorymp.com/

Thread starter #8
Ever thought about starting a photography business? It's kind of cliche these days I know...but if you really enjoy it and apply yourself (and of course it take time), you can do really well. I have several professional photographers in my life who own their own company and they're killing it. Although it took them time to get there and they are masters at their craft. @Tavis is one. Owns http://memorymp.com/
I would love to! I have done some sessions and I post a lot of stuff from abandon places or "haunted" places. I'm doing my first sports team photos. I have some awesome news I'll post in a new thread later.

Teliah Gienger

I would love to! I have done some sessions and I post a lot of stuff from abandon places or "haunted" places. I'm doing my first sports team photos. I have some awesome news I'll post in a new thread later.
That's awesome! I love that you gave her suggestions that she hadn't even thought of. Perfect. :) Excited to hear your news!

Gerrit

Yeah there is tons of money in photography. We booked one for our wedding that cost almost $1800. And that was one of the cheaper ones. This is for one day of photographing at the wedding + editing. The later is where the money goes mostly. But it still looks like good money to me :D

Teliah Gienger

Yeah there is tons of money in photography. We booked one for our wedding that cost almost $1800. And that was one of the cheaper ones. This is for one day of photographing at the wedding + editing. The later is where the money goes mostly. But it still looks like good money to me :D
Definitely good money in photography...especially weddings. :)

Side note: For a wedding, it's totally worth it!

Thread starter #12
Wedding photography in my area has blown up with photographers. I have a friend who has been doing really well in her business doing school teams, family, and weddings. It's too saturated here. I want to try a different avenue but I won't turn down anything that comes up either. I have a lot of skill to improve on before I can compete with other photographer's around here.

Something else has become an option recently. I been running a fundraiser campaign where I work and I think I can use the experience to open other job options as event planner. It's touches on all kinds of things I'm interested in doing.
I'm meeting with the president of our sector today about it. Kinda nervous! I got him to help at my company cookout last 2 years lol

Teliah Gienger

Wedding photography in my area has blown up with photographers. I have a friend who has been doing really well in her business doing school teams, family, and weddings. It's too saturated here. I want to try a different avenue but I won't turn down anything that comes up either. I have a lot of skill to improve on before I can compete with other photographer's around here.

Something else has become an option recently. I been running a fundraiser campaign where I work and I think I can use the experience to open other job options as event planner. It's touches on all kinds of things I'm interested in doing.
I'm meeting with the president of our sector today about it. Kinda nervous! I got him to help at my company cookout last 2 years lol
Cool! Keep us updated!

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
V

I'll tell you wedding videography is an even bigger opportunity! Check out Articulate

Thread starter #17
I'm definitely all over the place with things I want to do. My full time job takes so much of my time and my drive is 45mins both ways. I live out in the country but not banjo's in the woods country. We will be debt free in a couple months and I would like to try and see if I could go to part time where I work. I'm not sure I want to quit totally cause I am pretty interested in what we do there but going part time isn't something they normally do but they have been more flexible the last several years. I have built a good reputation and they are growing like crazy so if push comes to shovel I'll quit lol.

Gerrit

Cheers to you being debt free soon! That is loosing shackles. Part-time is super normal in the Netherlands. So it’s strange for me to see places where this is not a thing. Anyway I do believe that your new situation will give you more freedom to move into a space where you are actually loving your every day work. Curious to hear more about it when you develop your plans further.

Thread starter #19
I'm technically not allowed to tell people what we do at work but the company name says fuzing and ordinance. Lol we build electronics for the military that is used in missiles and explosives. It's a manufacturing warehouse and typically warehouses don't have part time positions but there are exceptions. I think it all depends on how you were hired in.
They just posted a position for a tech writer. They also do graphic design and photography stuff but the main job is writing up documents for the customer or instructions that go in the system. I have recently had permission to use Photoshop for my fundraiser pictures and got to know the guy working in that office. I'm so interested in that position but I don't have a writing background but maybe my photography and adobe background will get me in. Guess I need to redo my resume. 😯

Teliah Gienger

Super exciting to be almost debt free! That's going to feel like a breath of fresh air!

Yea, I think it's great to be at part-time and focus on what you really want to do. Especially once you're debt free, I really hope you explore what that could look like! ;)