What's new

radius - open marketplace for real life learning

Teliah Gienger

Thanks Sam! I really appreciate it.

Some small but exciting news on the migration front: according to the USCIS official website, processing times for i-130 at the Nebraska Service Center have dropped from 11 months to between 8 and 10.5 months. This means that we might be able to move to the States 3 months sooner.

Best case scenario: our i-130 is approved in early December, and we file the next form (DS-260) with supporting evidence and fees before we visit the US over Christmas and Newyears; I have my interview and medical exam in February, get approved in March and we get to move in early spring of 2019. That would be amazing.

In the mean time, we are going to keep improving radius: plan is to release an updated version every month.
The next release is planned for next week, July 7th. So stay tuned! :)
Super exciting Corne!!! :) Also, love the article and YES to a book. FOR SURE.

cvans

Thread starter #22
Thanks guys! We're really excited too :)

Unfortunately, there is also some bad-ish news. @Sahil Vasava pointed out that there's this movie called the Circle, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, that features a big-brother-like company by the same name: the Circle. And that company has the following logo:

Although it's completely coincidental that our logo looks so much like it, it's unacceptable. So we're going to have to alter the logo slightly, to make it different enough.

Luckily, my awesome allround beautifier @Gerrit is incredibly skilled, so I'm sure we'll pull it off :)

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Thanks guys! We're really excited too :)

Unfortunately, there is also some bad-ish news. @Sahil Vasava pointed out that there's this movie called the Circle, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, that features a big-brother-like company by the same name: the Circle. And that company has the following logo:

Although it's completely coincidental that our logo looks so much like it, it's unacceptable. So we're going to have to alter the logo slightly, to make it different enough.

Luckily, my awesome allround beautifier @Gerrit is incredibly skilled, so I'm sure we'll pull it off :)
Ahhh! That's frustrating!!

Maybe have the letter 'R' within the circle somehow? And maybe change the colour scheme?

Gerrit

Ahhh! That's frustrating!!

Maybe have the letter 'R' within the circle somehow? And maybe change the colour scheme?
Thanks for thinking along @Sam. It is frustrating indeed. It seems that there is so much stuff out there that somehow conflicts with what we come up with that it seems to be useless to redo it all again. So we're just going to alter it slightly.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for thinking along @Sam. It is frustrating indeed. It seems that there is so much stuff out there that somehow conflicts with what we come up with that it seems to be useless to redo it all again. So we're just going to alter it slightly.
No problem, yeah I get you.

A letter R with the original logo through it may also set it apart enough:

cvans

Thread starter #27
On second thought: changing the logo is proving to be too much of a headache (as logo making always seems to be). :rolleyes:

Any alterations only make it look worse; and frankly, we have more important things to do than worrying about the logo of an imaginary company in a sorry-ass B-movie that hardly anybody has ever seen anyway.

4 days until the release of Alpha 1.1

Gerrit

On second thought: changing the logo is proving to be too much of a headache (as logo making always seems to be). :rolleyes:

Any alterations only make it look worse; and frankly, we have more important things to do than worrying about the logo of an imaginary company in a sorry-ass B-movie that hardly anybody has ever seen anyway.

4 days until the release of Alpha 1.1
Aaaamen to that brother!

cvans

Thread starter #30
Due to some technical difficulties, we are going to push the release of Alpha 1.1 back a couple of days, so we can finish some stuff up over the weekend. Stay tuned, because it shouldn't be that long! :)

cvans

Thread starter #32
I am happy to inform you all that radius alpha 1.1 is now live. Biggest updates in this version:

• Several bugfixes in the frontend
  • better copy on landing (thanks Andrew @Schn17eck )
  • line height increased for better readability
  • team section on landing
  • favicon
  • slight logo update
  • search bar in header improved and also working on mobile now
  • 404 route and page for non-existing routes
  • arrow up/down icon to replace thumbs /down up icon for reviews, because the thumbs looked too cheap; too much like a facebook like.
  • Discover button <---- most important improvement
    Clicking Discover will show you all the learning circles in your area.

One elemental principle of good UX on a platform is that the time between landing on a website and experiencing the magic moment should be as short as possible. What that magic moment is, however, is different for every company.

For Airbnb it's finding a nice place to stay in a city you want to visit.​
For eBay it's finding that thing you want to buy.​
For Groupon it's finding a good deal for something interesting to do in your area.​

It's easy to think that radius' magic moment would be "finding someone in your area that is teaching what you want to learn", similar to eBay's magic moment. But I don't believe this is correct.

I'm convinced that the magic moment for radius should be: "wow, I can learn really interesting things from people around me". Visitors should be able to find something interesting to learn, even if they weren't directly looking for it: serendipity

Even though the difference between these two magic moment definitions may seem small, they have a huge influence on how the website it built. The former would give the search functionality a central position (as in alpha 1.0), whereas the latter requires a different approach..

Ironically, it was already possible to find all the circles in your area, simply by leaving the keywords section blank and pressing search. But the most important lesson we learned from our first Alpha release is that nobody does that. Which is why almost nobody found anything, and left pretty quickly. This is why the discover button is easily the most important improvement to the platform in this release.

Stuff like this seems so obvious in hindsight, but you only learn it by watching people use your stuff. So thanks so much for using our alpha version and for providing feedback. We really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
I am happy to inform you all that radius alpha 1.1 is now live. Biggest updates in this version:

• favicon
  • slight logo update
  • arrow up/down icon to replace thumbs /down up icon for reviews, because the thumbs looked too cheap; too much like a facebook like.

One elemental principle of good UX on a platform is that the time between landing on a website and experiencing the magic moment should be as short as possible. What that magic moment is, however, is different for every company.

For Groupon it's finding a good deal for something interesting to do in your area.​

It's easy to think that radius' magic moment would be "finding someone in your area that is teaching what you want to learn", similar to eBay's magic moment. But I don't believe this is correct.

I'm convinced that the magic moment for radius should be: "wow, I can learn really interesting things from people around me". Visitors should be able to find something interesting to learn, even if they weren't directly looking for it: serendipity

Even though the difference between these two magic moment definitions may seem small, they have a huge influence on how the website it built. The former would give the search functionality a central position (as in alpha 1.0), whereas the latter requires a different approach..

Ironically, it was already possible to find all the circles in your area, simply by leaving the keywords section blank and pressing search. But the most important lesson we learned from our first Alpha release is that nobody does that. Which is why almost nobody found anything, and left pretty quickly. This is why the discover button is easily the most important improvement to the platform in this release.

Stuff like this seems so obvious in hindsight, but you only learn it by watching people use your stuff. So thanks so much for using our alpha version and for providing feedback. We really appreciate it :)
Woohoo! Go you :D

Teliah Gienger

• favicon
  • slight logo update

Whoo!! Nicely done gentlemen!

cvans

Thread starter #35
Thanks guys!

The following doesn't have much to do with radius, directly, but I thought I'd share it anyway, because it has to do with my productivity.

I'm currently experimenting with getting up at 5 in the morning, everyday. I'm doing this because it allows me to have uninterrupted time to work on what I care about most, early in the morning, when I'm the freshest, instead of having to fit it in late at night after a long day at my job; and after spending the evening with my wife and baby boy (i.e. when I'm actually more ready to settle down).

I'm excited to see how it goes and I'll keep you updated :)

Sam

Staff member
Thanks guys!

The following doesn't have much to do with radius, directly, but I thought I'd share it anyway, because it has to do with my productivity.

I'm currently experimenting with getting up at 5 in the morning, everyday. I'm doing this because it allows me to have uninterrupted time to work on what I care about most, early in the morning, when I'm the freshest, instead of having to fit it in late at night after a long day at my job; and after spending the evening with my wife and baby boy (i.e. when I'm actually more ready to settle down).

I'm excited to see how it goes and I'll keep you updated :)
That's early!

My current schedule is sleeping 2:30am-10:30am

cvans

Thread starter #37
That's early!

My current schedule is sleeping 2:30am-10:30am
Haha that is quite different. :D
The 5am life is going pretty well so far, and it's turned out to be way easier than I thought.

As far as radius is concerned, we're in for another pretty major database overhaul.
It's a little technical, so bare with me.

As you guys know, I'm not really a programmer. I've been JIT-learning this whole thing from the get-go. But I've been reading up on relational databases, noSQL vs SQL and the strengths and weaknesses of MongoDB, I realize that the current data structure is, indeed, inefficient for the type of database we’re using, which is MongoDB; a non-relational database.

The current database design is actually very relational, with lots of internal references to other documents. But data in Mongo databases should be embedded where possible, to use the strength of this noSQL database most effectively and optimize performance.

We are going to keep using MongoDB, because of its awesome scalability, flexibility and built-in location functions. But since Mongo is not a relational database, it should not be treated as such.

This means that I'm going to have to redesign the data structure of radius. This is quite intimidating, because it means the whole flow of data through the application is going to change, affecting almost every single file.

But it's better to do this now, because trying to make it happen later on, with actual production data, would be way more of a headache.

So wish me luck! :)

Sam

Staff member
Haha that is quite different. :D
The 5am life is going pretty well so far, and it's turned out to be way easier than I thought.

As far as radius is concerned, we're in for another pretty major database overhaul.
It's a little technical, so bare with me.

As you guys know, I'm not really a programmer. I've been JIT-learning this whole thing from the get-go. But I've been reading up on relational databases, noSQL vs SQL and the strengths and weaknesses of MongoDB, I realize that the current data structure is, indeed, inefficient for the type of database we’re using, which is MongoDB; a non-relational database.

The current database design is actually very relational, with lots of internal references to other documents. But data in Mongo databases should be embedded where possible, to use the strength of this noSQL database most effectively and optimize performance.

We are going to keep using MongoDB, because of its awesome scalability, flexibility and built-in location functions. But since Mongo is not a relational database, it should not be treated as such.

This means that I'm going to have to redesign the data structure of radius. This is quite intimidating, because it means the whole flow of data through the application is going to change, affecting almost every single file.

But it's better to do this now, because trying to make it happen later on, with actual production data, would be way more of a headache.

So wish me luck! :)
That's a big task, we've had to do similar things software-side but as always it's better sooner rather than later. Your future self is going to be super grateful for you getting this right now! Good luck :D

cvans

Thread starter #39
Alright guys, there it is, my first vlog!

Obviously inspired by @Sam and his entrepreneur path, I'm going to document the process of founding radius; and hopefully learn a lot about making and editing video in the process. I promise I'll always keep these videos short and sweet, so there is no reason not to subscribe ;)

Let me know what you think!

Sam

Staff member
Alright guys, there it is, my first vlog!

Obviously inspired by @Sam and his entrepreneur path, I'm going to document the process of founding radius; and hopefully learn a lot about making and editing video in the process. I promise I'll always keep these videos short and sweet, so there is no reason not to subscribe ;)

Let me know what you think!
LOVE IT! So excited to see you making a start after thinking about it for so long :D