What's new

radius - open marketplace for real life learning

cvans

Thread starter #1
radiusfill.png

Imagine you're interested in learning something. Be it Spanish, advanced calculus, online marketing, yoga, painting, building your own website, woodworking, bookkeeping, playing the guitar, graphic design, coding, entrepreneurship, or whatever you're interested in. Wouldn't it be ideal if you could find someone close to you that already knows and actively practices what you want to learn; so that you could learn from them, directly? This is what radius is going to facilitate through our open marketplace.

Companies like Airbnb and Uber have shown the incredible value that lies in decentralization, through mobilizing local resources that were previously idle. Airbnb knew you don't need a hotel to host people and Uber knew you don't need a taxi to give someone a ride.

At radius, we know that you don't need a classroom or a teaching degree to let someone learn from you. We want to decentralize learning in the same way Airbnb decentralized hosting: all the way to the p2p level. Our ultimate goal is making the school system completely obsolete.

Release
We are currently working on the release of the first (alpha) version of the platform, to show the world what we're working on, and harvest the first feedback from our future users. We would love for you to be one of the first testers, so let us know if you're interested, because we are taking names! :cool:

The initial launch of the company will be in the United States. The reason for that is that the US has such a vast potential user base, because of the large market for alternative education that exists already. Unfortunately, this is going to require me to go through a very slow and costly immigration process, because I am not American. Because of this, we will most likely only be able to really launch summer 2019.

I will be posting updates about the immigration process in this thread as well.

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Holy cow man, I think I got some goosebumps reading this. AMAZING! I can't freakin wait for more updates and eventually a launch!

Who comes up with your company names and branding? I love it. Loved the old OpenClassroom one too.

Also, definitely keep me in the loop. I would be happy to get involved in some capacity in any stage of this project.

cvans

Thread starter #4
Holy cow man, I think I got some goosebumps reading this. AMAZING! I can't freakin wait for more updates and eventually a launch!

Who comes up with your company names and branding? I love it. Loved the old OpenClassroom one too.

Also, definitely keep me in the loop. I would be happy to get involved in some capacity in any stage of this project.
Thanks Kylon! It's really encouraging to have your support :D

I came up with the name and logo combination myself, but it does not come easy to me by any means. So many names considered and logos sketched, you wouldn't even believe. I am really happy with the result, though. Just like with OpenClassroom, I made the initial sketch, but all credits for the wonderful design go to @Gerrit

Also, I'm very interested in the materials you have about pitching. I'll PM you!

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Kylon! It's really encouraging to have your support :D

I came up with the name and logo combination myself, but it does not come easy to me by any means. So many names considered and logos sketched, you wouldn't even believe. I am really happy with the result, though. Just like with OpenClassroom, I made the initial sketch, but all credits for the wonderful design go to @Gerrit

Also, I'm very interested in the materials you have about pitching. I'll PM you!
Got it!

cvans

Thread starter #9
Today is the 4th of June, my birthday, and the day that I really wanted to finally release our first alpha version prototype.
It's been quite something. @Gerrit and I have worked tirelessly over the last 30 hours, hackathlon style, to make the deadline, but we did it:

the prototype of radius is live!
find us at learnradius.com

Our test group has already received an e-mail with tester instructions. Anyone else reading this, please feel free to make your own account and test it out. We'd love to hear your feedback, as it will guide us in the rest of the development process. :)

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Today is the 4th of June, my birthday, and the day that I really wanted to finally release our first alpha version prototype.
It's been quite something. @Gerrit and I have worked tirelessly over the last 30 hours, hackathlon style, to make this happen, but we made it.

the prototype of radius is live!
find us at learnradius.com

Our test group has already received an e-mail with tester instructions. Anyone else reading this, please feel free to make your own account and test it out. We'd love to hear your feedback, as it will guide us in the rest of the development process. :)
Just checked it out for awhile and emailed you some feedback!

In short - AMAZING. It's so cool to see this thing becoming a reality and I'm really excited to see where it goes. I'll be checking back frequently!

cvans

Thread starter #15
Most of you already know that I regularly write articles on Medium, about the school system, self-development and learning in general. It is almost impossible to overstate how much this helps me with the vision for what radius needs to be.

I just finished my newest article last night:

Learning how to learn - the last excuse for school

@Kylon let me know if this one is worth sharing on Successful Dropout as well

I’m actually seriously thinking about eventually turning all of my articles into a little book; and self-publishing it. I could sell it on Amazon for $9; and give digital copies away for free on learnradius.com; as a way to build our email list. I think that would be really cool.

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Most of you already know that I regularly write articles on Medium, about the school system, self-development and learning in general. It is almost impossible to overstate how much this helps me with the vision for what radius needs to be.

I just finished my newest article last night:

Learning how to learn - the last excuse for school

@Kylon let me know if this one is worth sharing on Successful Dropout as well

I’m actually seriously thinking about eventually turning all of my articles into a little book; and self-publishing it. I could sell it on Amazon for $9; and give digital copies away for free on learnradius.com; as a way to build our email list. I think that would be really cool.
Uhhhh YES I think you should write a book and YES I think you should share this in the FB group! Amazing article man.

cvans

Thread starter #18
Thanks Sam! I really appreciate it.

Some small but exciting news on the migration front: according to the USCIS official website, processing times for i-130 at the Nebraska Service Center have dropped from 11 months to between 8 and 10.5 months. This means that we might be able to move to the States 3 months sooner.

Best case scenario: our i-130 is approved in early December, and we file the next form (DS-260) with supporting evidence and fees before we visit the US over Christmas and Newyears; I have my interview and medical exam in February, get approved in March and we get to move in early spring of 2019. That would be amazing.

In the mean time, we are going to keep improving radius: plan is to release an updated version every month.
The next release is planned for next week, July 7th. So stay tuned! :)

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member

Some small but exciting news on the migration front: according to the USCIS official website, processing times for i-130 at the Nebraska Service Center have dropped from 11 months to between 8 and 10.5 months. This means that we might be able to move to the States 3 months sooner.

Best case scenario: our i-130 is approved in early December, and we file the next form (DS-260) with supporting evidence and fees before we visit the US over Christmas and Newyears; I have my interview and medical exam in February, get approved in March and we get to move in early spring of 2019. That would be amazing.

In the mean time, we are going to keep improving radius: plan is to release an updated version every month.
AMAZING news man! I know it's still not ideal how long it's taking but even three months sooner is a win for today.

Can't wait till July 7th!

Sam

Staff member

You're very welcome ?

That sounds promising!! Keep us updated!