What's new

Life as we know it...

Gerrit

Thread starter #1
Hi Dropouts,
For the short story 'Gerrit's life' check the introduction ;-)

Where am I at now:
Location: Rotterdam, Holland. Profession: Freelance Front-end developer.

What am I going to do in 2018:
  • Become a more awesome (FE) developer (also the goal for 2019... and 2020)
  • Move to Austin, TX the USA because I'm going to:
  • Marry the most awesome lady on planet earth: Kate Herman. (Yes I'm cheesy)
  • Prepare to start my own freelance web-development business in the USA in 2019 (I won't have a permit to work before that time).
  • Help Corné and Katie launch OpenClassroom
  • Finish Colt Steele's Webdeveloper Bootcamp
  • Build my portofolio page
  • Build alpha versions of 2 webapps I have in mind
  • Start learning to drive

Short Term Goals (next 3 months):
  • Help Corné get the alpha version of previously mentioned OpenClassroom ready for launch
  • Prepare to sell everything I own that cannot be moved with us to the States
  • Get a suit to get married in
  • Dive back into back-end programming (have only been doing front-end for a while now, want to become full stack eventually)
  • Finish an advanced CSS + SASS course
2019 Dreaming:
  • Build a BETA version of the previously mentioned webapps
  • Find new next level programmer courses (and finish them)
  • Get drivers license
I'm sure I'm still missing stuff, but let's see what we can get done here

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Dude! Super exciting an congrats being the very first to kick off a follow-along. :) I think I'll be the second. I would actually link to your introduction for people that look at this in the future so it doesn't get lost in all the other intros. I would also add any other goals you plan on pursuing in the short to mid term. Then simply keep this updated on a semi-regular basis with your progress! Could be weekly, monthly, bi-monthly etc. :)

Stoked for you man!

Gerrit

Thread starter #3
Dude! Super exciting an congrats being the very first to kick off a follow-along. :) I think I'll be the second. I would actually link to your introduction for people that look at this in the future so it doesn't get lost in all the other intros. I would also add any other goals you plan on pursuing in the short to mid term. Then simply keep this updated on a semi-regular basis with your progress! Could be weekly, monthly, bi-monthly etc. :)

Stoked for you man!
And you would just update it or add it in the comments?

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Add it in the comments. Other people will comment like I did...so your updates will be scattered among them going on down the page...but you see how you have that "thread starter" tag in the top right of your comments? That's what will make your updates stand out. Here is where I got the idea and you can see some example there. Some of them have been going for years! haha

Gerrit

Thread starter #6
A little update on my short term goals.
- almost finished with my advanced SASS course which helps me every day in my work
- we postponed the launch of OpenClassroom and the name became radius
- I purchased a wedding suit.

- still have to dive back into backend coding, I notice at my most recent assignment it would help me a lot but I’ve been drawn more and more into web and graphic design, which is because maybe I’m naturally good at it or maybe just the circumstances of the assignments I have.

Teliah Gienger

A little update on my short term goals.
- almost finished with my advanced SASS course which helps me every day in my work
- we postponed the launch of OpenClassroom and the name became radius
- I purchased a wedding suit.

- still have to dive back into backend coding, I notice at my most recent assignment it would help me a lot but I’ve been drawn more and more into web and graphic design, which is because maybe I’m naturally good at it or maybe just the circumstances of the assignments I have.
Whoo!!! We have a name! Radius. I like it. :)
Good job getting a suit.

Gerrit

Thread starter #8
Life as we know it is truly about to change.
Not only because radius’ alpha version is live, but also because the next stage of my Visa process is happening. I had the interview for my K1 visa last Tuesday and it was approved!
Now I’m waiting for my passport back since they take it and put it in there.
So now we’re praying that it comes back in time for our flight to Seattle on the 22nd of June.
There is never a dull moment in our lives. 😄

Life as we know it is truly about to change.
Not only because radius’ alpha version is live, but also because the next stage of my Visa process is happening. I had the interview for my K1 visa last Tuesday and it was approved!
Now I’m waiting for my passport back since they take it and put it in there.
So now we’re praying that it comes back in time for our flight to Seattle on the 22nd of June.
There is never a dull moment in our lives. 😄
Holy smokes! The 22nd is so soon! :) It will be great to have you stateside. ;)