What's new

Jack of all, master of some.

AFrench

Thread starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Alexa, and I started listening to SD recently while hunting for answers.

I'm not a dropout necessarily, but my education hasn't done much for me. I have 2 diplomas, one for video game art and design, and one for finance. Can you tell which one was for me and which one was due to parental pressure?

I've worked in food service, retail, office admin, currency exchange, vfx, and now, manufacturing ceramics. I'm in a dead-end position with a wage that's just enough to feel comfortable, and I know I want to get out but can't seem to find direction, especially where I'm living (it's ho-dunk).

My issue is that I lost my way at some point. I'm very good at learning quickly and I can get pretty darned good at anything, but I've found myself passionless despite my ability to do things well.

I'm a jack of all, master of learning quickly.

So far SD is giving me a lot of really awesome motivation, and I'm still learning. All I know is that I don't want to go back to school unless it's absolutely necessary for a path I choose.

HappyViki

Hello Alexa!

You sound just like me! I love learning, knowing, solving, creating, and other things that involves stimulating my brain.

I have direction now, but when I didn't: I felt like I was in a funk, not knowing what to do. I would search "what should I do?" and find links like this one and that one. It was a confusing time. I think going on card-game-playing dates, joining an improv group, also sports helped me. Being around other people really helped me. I think it just hit me like a pile of bricks, the direction. It's like I was driving in my car at 80mph accross Nevada USA, and suddenly lost control, and ended up in the magical land of OZ. I hope my comparisons aren't too strange.

If you have boring people in your area, I would suggest joining a slack group. I'm in the process of finding one where I can belong, so I'm not saying it's easy. I'm interested in programming, so I look for different software focused groups, like WordPress and Laravel.

Maybe you need a life coach! Do you have a job center in your area? Although...you may need to be unemployed to use that resource. I use my local job searching center. I talk with their career advisors and members about what they're doing.

Let me know what you think :)