What's new

I want to drop out of college to go into Real Estate, but I don't know how to convince my Mom...

Thread starter #1
Hi all,

Newbie here.

I am a rising sophomore in college and I have decided that I want to drop out, get my real estate license, sell houses, and invest fulltime. I really regret going to college and I want to work instead as this is the better option for me, especially financially. However, my Mom believes that you absolutely HAVE to have a degree to be successful. I feel SO much better now that it is summer break and I had a really rough year in college last year. Knowing how depressed I was, I absolutely have NO desire to go back. I also have a lot of books on my nightstand that I want to read. I don't want to have to read something that a professor selected. (ex: Shakespeare)

My Mom is also a real estate agent and she wants to partner with me, so perhaps I can use this as leverage? I've shadowed her at open houses, met with other realtors, and I've even seen the crazy amount of paperwork that has to be filled out. I feel a lot more happier working and I want to help my family out. I'm having A LOT of fun experiencing the real estate profession as well! You get to meet a lot of people and it just feels plain right to me!

I think I could possibly go back in the future, graduate, and eventually go to law school (that was my original plan) but for now I want to work, generate some income, start paying back my loans (ugh) contribute to my family, and genuinely feel like I'm accomplishing something great. I am SO ready to improve in every aspect of my life and I really enjoy all that I've seen in this profession.

Do you guys have any idea on how I could leverage this? I'm going to need to let her know sooner or later. She brought it up once on her own, but I need to create a game plan for myself. I'm hoping that she'll be pretty open to it, but she's also super super focused on me getting good grades.

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it! :) Also, sorry if this is long!

Sam

Staff member
Hey there!

Great post, would you like to introduce yourself in the Introductions Thread?

You've partly answered your own question, in that you need a game plan. Something which has worked for others who have convinced their parents that dropping out may be the best option at this point in their lives, is to do just that. Write out a detailed, month-by-month plan of what you'd like to accomplish by going down the Real Estate route for the next year instead of going back to college. Present this to your mom and see what she thinks, reminding her that you can always go back to college if it doesn't pan out.

This is definitely the time in your life to try a multitude of new things. I'd recommend getting on this ASAP and letting us here in the community know how it goes!

Peace
-Sam