What's new

How to strive for originality? But not let it cripple you?

Thread starter #1
Hey fam squad!
I’ve recently started brainstorming for a product idea that’s in its extreme infancy. Aka a brain-drain-cluster-mess word document. The idea first came about as something I’d just like to make for myself to use. But then I figured hey maybe others down the road could be interested in it. Who knows! Side hustle possibility?
But as I’m writing ideas & trying to plan, I get stuck wondering how what I’m making would be different than other products that I’ve used or been inspired by. I know nothing is really truly *original* anymore, but sometimes I stop myself thinking that no one would be interested because other people are doing a lot of the same things I am. I guess classic second-guessing-self-doubt stuff. Which I’m sure some have you have experienced too! Any advice for this?

Gerrit

Not that I’m the super expert on this matter. But I feel as long as you “scratch your own itch” and do it right you should come up with a useful product even if it would be just for you it would be a win. Then you let a bunch of people test it and check if you can integrate their feedback.
At the moment I’m also in a very brainstorming phase of an app I’m planning to build. I know for sure that there is a ton of competition but I’m sure these things don’t do exactly what I want them to do. Which is why I want to build it to begin with 😄
It’s okay to second guess yourself as long as you are able to snap out of it and fix the problem. Hope that is useful 😬

Thread starter #3
That is definitely useful! Thanks for all your insight Gerrit!! Yeah I think I need to focus on making this first for myself because that was the driving factor, but I'm sure it could possibly turn into something over time. Plus I overthink things way too often, better to get to the 80% action, 20% thinking!

My creativity comes from synthesis and it can take a lot of time to get there - the combination of otherwise unconnected things. The company I'm building now takes culture lessons from Ancient Egypt, recent breakthroughs in trauma research, drug culture, and a few entrepreneurs from the past that I particularly like (shoutout to Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks before the year 2000, and Berkshire Hathaway). I have saved quotes for nearly a decade and have something like 4,000 of them on my computer, they come in handy sometimes for this sort of work.

I used to think that creativity is best thought up by sitting quietly in a room, or by being inherently endowed with creative abilities. I think very differently now - it can also be interacting with the outside world.

I have recently gotten into art a lot more and have been saving pictures of paintings I like. It helps inspire my own creative efforts. Reddit is good for a collected pocket of quality information, maybe a place to start if you think synthesis is for you!

Gerrit

I used to think that creativity is best thought up by sitting quietly in a room, or by being inherently endowed with creative abilities. I think very differently now - it can also be interacting with the outside world.
I love this. I realized a while ago that talking with people about my plans develops them twice as fast. A lot of people add little things here and there. Which, like you with your quotes, I bring together and expand upon.
Besides that I believe that in the core developing something needs to come from your heart. Finding that problem you care about and fixing it.
I’m not sure but I might be repeating back to you what you said to me when you were in the Netherlands 😄.