What's new

Hey guys, Anthony here!

Thread starter #1
Hey everyone! Figured it's about time I introduced myself! For those of you active on Facebook, you might've read my little intro already.

My name is Anthony J. Campbell, though some of my social media still uses my given name; 'Jibbe van Buul'. However, I prefer Anthony. (I'm still considering legally changing my name, but that's a matter for another day)

I'm a 21-year old former Business student from the Netherlands. In total, I spent three years in university. I'd never truly felt at place there, and I started considering dropping out after a couple of months. However, I kept on telling myself that I'd drop out at some later date. "Just finish the semester, then you can consider dropping out", "You've finished the first year, just tough it out until your first internship", and on and on it went. Eventually, I found myself finishing up a semester abroad in México City and travelling through South Korea, three years after first starting college. Sitting in a high-speed train, it was Kylon's interview with Braun Shedd that finally got me to really sit down and reflect. Eventually, I came to the decision to drop out - which I still credit both of them for!

I realized that I couldn't pinpoint a single reason why I should continue with my degree for another three semesters other than "You've already invested so much time into it". My heart simply wasn't in it.
After a couple more months in Asia and India, I got back to the Netherlands for the first time in nine months. For many months, I drifted from one unfulfilling job to the other. I tried planning my way out of this miserable life, but to little effect.

Last January, I quit a job in online marketing doing SEO and got in a major funk. It took me several months of introspection and depression to go back to basics. In doing so, I tried to identify some very basic elements that excite me in life; things I want to be part of my life and things I want to work towards. Slowly but surely, I started gaining some clarity and figuring some things out, and things started to look up.

For years, I've dreamt building and running a start-up; being able to build something that's of use to millions of people. Creating a paradigm shift in education is my ultimate goal. An open, worldwide, online university, if you will. A platform capable of taking any person, regardless of age, aptitude and skill level, from zero to professional in any skill or subject. Using machine learning, I'd love to be able to adapt the curriculum to each individual student's talents and inclination.

It goes without saying that this monumental task isn't completed easily. I'll need to build all the necessary skills of course, and that's what I'll be working on for the foreseeable future!
To do so, I've set out a self-directed apprenticeship in web development (currently really deep-diving in core JavaScript and getting my feet wet with back-end development), sales (I've taken a really rewarding job doing cold calling), and getting to know better, more interesting people. I'm still getting started, but progressing steadily, which makes it all the more rewarding and motivating.

My story might not be as glamorous or accomplished as some others here, reason being that my story is only just getting started. However, I'm content to be a humble and hungry student at the moment. With enough practice and effort, I'm confident in my ability to put a dent in the universe. That's what all us drop-outs are here for, after all.

So, that's me! I'm here to learn from the best and give back in return! If any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Also, if you ever find yourself in the Netherlands, hit me up! (Beer's on me!)

P.S. If anyone happens to have experience with learning Node.js/intermediate web development, please let me know!

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony! Man great to see you in here and welcome. Thanks for sharing your story in such detail. Incredible goal you have as well, very in line with many other goals in this community. I know for a fact that Corne (don't know why I can't "@" him right now lol) is building something in the same realm.

If you ever want to get more involved in SD, as in helping actually run certain aspect of it to gain more experience, have an "in" with your eventual target customer, and start building yourself as an authority in the education reformation space...let me know!

Thread starter #3
As it happens, Corné and I have talked for a bit on FB Messenger already and - through our visions differ slightly - there's definitely a huge overlap! What's more, he's already helped me out with some advice on getting better at web development. This community is pure gold!

As I mentioned in our email, I'd be more than happy to help out, Kylon! Content management or creation, reaching out to new podcast guests, proofreading or editing blog posts, you name it. Just say the word!