What's new

Hello from Denmark!

Anastasia

Thread starter #1
Hello you all!

I'm sitting in the airport today, on my way to Malaga, Spain, for a 5 day training course in entrepreneurship. I decided to spend my waiting time listening to podcasts and through that found out about successful dropouts. Oh how happy I am to find this group!

To introduce myself, my name is Anastasia, I'm 19 years old and live in Denmark. I dropped out of school in 7th grade and went on homeschooling, which is not that common in Denmark. I was so bored at school and thought we were being taught things that didn't really bring me any value or would be anything I could use later on. I knew I could spend my time so much better! Luckily I have some awesome parents, who support me all the way and have been encouraging me to spend my time developing my skills in my areas of interest.

The things that I've been spending a lot of time on is art, both digital and traditional. Also photography. I think there is close to nothing that I haven't been doing in this area. I've been photographing and illustrating for two horse books, since horses are one of my big interests and favorite thing to paint and photograph.

Besides that I got into coaching a couple of years back, and that really excites me as well! Especially because it gave me so much personally, in the sense of boosting my self esteem and get out of my comfort zone! Right now I'm working on starting coaching business, with the aim to help young people in my local area to believe in themselves and their dreams.

To tie it all together entrepreneurship is one of my newer interests, that I really like and I'm so excited to be part of this group, to share with others. No doubt that I've been feeling quite alone, taking this path, even though it's worth it 100%

Teliah Gienger

Hey Anastasia! Welcome to the forum!

I'm so glad that you found this group too. :) Is homeschooling not popular in Europe or just Denmark?

I'm excited to hear about your 5 day training. You should share about it in the follow along section of the forum! Also, as @Gerrit said, post your portfolio somewhere so we can see your work.

See you around!

cvans

You are technically required to go to school from 4 to about 18 years old, but the Dutch constitution states that everyone has the right to choose an education option that is in accordance with their religion or worldview. So if you want to homeschool, you have to make the case that you cannot possibly find a school that is in accordance with your particular (fringe) worldview, within a reasonable distance from your house. If you're lucky, they accept the argument and you get an exception and sidestep truancy laws. However, parents still have to write detailed learning plans for each individual child, that have to be approved by the department of education.

Teliah Gienger

You are technically required to go to school from 4 to about 18 years old, but the Dutch constitution states that everyone has the right to choose an education option that is in accordance with their religion or worldview. So if you want to homeschool, you have to make the case that you cannot possibly find a school that is in accordance with your particular (fringe) worldview, within a reasonable distance from your house. If you're lucky, they accept the argument and you get an exception and sidestep truancy laws. However, parents still have to write detailed learning plans for each individual child, that have to be approved by the department of education.
Well, I mean, you can say that the government at least wants the children to be educated in some way and in a way, cares? I think coming up with/presenting a plan is great, but having it illegal seems a little interesting.

Gerrit

Well, I mean, you can say that the government at least wants the children to be educated in some way and in a way, cares? I think coming up with/presenting a plan is great, but having it illegal seems a little interesting.
There is always a positive way to look at the situation ^_^ I personally would prefer if they cared a little more about spending less money on useless crap (not even talking about how they spend money in education, just in general). I wish they actually cared. Then there would be more research on how to educate, more freedom in how to educate. But the system barely develops.

Teliah Gienger

There is always a positive way to look at the situation ^_^ I personally would prefer if they cared a little more about spending less money on useless crap (not even talking about how they spend money in education, just in general). I wish they actually cared. Then there would be more research on how to educate, more freedom in how to educate. But the system barely develops.
haha ;)

I can understand that frustration. It bothers me so much when money is placed without thought.

cvans

In practice, this comes down to: "fine, you can do it at home, as long as you do it our way".

Anastasia

Thread starter #14
Argh I didn't see that people had replied in here. But thank you all for your sweet welcome! I'd love to show you my portfolio. It is down at the moment because of technical errors, but I'll post it somewhere in the forum when it's up and running again.

Homeschooling is legal in Denmark, but not common at all. It's not a law here to go to school, but it's law to have 10 years of education, so typically they send a person once a year to check. So not so many rules, it's pretty loose. I know that it is not legal in Sweden either. Nice to hear some more about homeschooling in the other countries.

Looking forward to see you guys around!

Gerrit

I just went to Denmark this weekend. We did a City trip to Copenhagen. It was great! Also nice to hear homeschooling is not illegal there.