What's new

Created my first Word Press blog!

Thread starter #1
kindwillwin.wordpress.com
Made the crazy decision yesterday to finally create a blog! I've been debating it for a while, and honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I've been stressing about what I want it to look like, what content I want on it, etc. to the point I kept putting it off.
Well, NO MORE! lol, I just made it and while it might look messy for a while until I find my purpose for it, I took the hardest step and created it!

If there are any Word Press people out there, I'll probably need lots of with it, and I'd love to see your blogs!!!

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
YESSSSS!

Haha sorry had to use the big font for once.

Your blog looks great! You did the most important thing which is taking the first step. It's not going to feel perfect, you probably won't feel ready, but you've got to take that first step....and now that you've taken it, you can level up and take the next one. :)

Your personal website and the content you put on there will be a huge asset. Keep writing consistently for sure.

The next step I would take (when you are ready), is getting a self hosted wordpress site. There is a difference between wordpress.com, and wordpress.org. Wordpress.org gives you the software to be able to host your own site...which gives you a lot more freedom to create and grow. This is what you will eventually want to do if you want to grow your site. This is just one resource on how to do that.

I've been reworking my site, and it's not done yet, but you can find it here: http://kylongienger.com/

Keep in mind I've been doing it for a long time lol my first site didn't look nearly as good

Gerrit

What @Kylon says is true. You can grow immensely on a self hosted site, while this will always just be a blog. Which is a good thing for just writing. I would advise to first do what you are doing now for a while and get comfortable and the moment you want more you can send me a message and I’ll help you build a more extensive site with Wordpress. I’ve build quite a few websites with Wordpress for customers because it’s such an easy system to manage and to keep updating. For now I like how you’ve started and am looking forward to your next random thoughts.

Not too long ago, I was in your shoes. I sort of wanted my own blog where I could express myself but I had no idea what that would look like exactly. Plus I was scared to do something like that publicly. I was scared of putting things out there that weren't perfect. But now I can't imagine not having gone for it. Creating and publishing stuff on my own blog has brought a lot of clarity on who I am and what I want. And a great side effect is that I'm not so scared in expressing myself and being imperfect publicly anymore.

Here it is: erickmuller.com

And I'd like to reassure you that, however good it looks today, it didn't look like that when I started ;)

My advice is to not worry about what you're writing or how your blog looks. Just go with it and eventually it will polish itself out.

Last edited:

cvans

More even than the website itself, (which looks very nice too), I commend you for the blog you wrote. Introspection, the examination of your life so far and how your childhood shaped who you currently are is such an incredibly important thing to do. I would argue it's impossible to really take the reins of your life without the self-knowledge gained from introspection.

(sorry if this is off-topic)

Last edited:

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Not too long ago, I was in your shoes. I sort of wanted my own blog where I could express myself but I had no idea what that would look like exactly. Plus I was scared to do something like that publicly. I was scared of putting things out there that weren't perfect. But now I can't imagine not having gone for it. Creating and publishing stuff on my own blog has brought a lot of clarity on who I am and what I want. And a great side effect is that I'm not so scared in expressing myself and being imperfect publicly anymore.

Here it is: erickmuller.com

And I'd like to reassure you that, however good it looks today, it didn't look like that when I started ;)

My advice is to not worry about what you're writing or how your blog looks. Just go with it and eventually it will polish itself out.
Great looking site man. And great advice!