What's new

Affinity - photo and vector

Gerrit

Thread starter #1
Hi Drop-outs,

A question for the graphic and webdesigners among you. Has any of you used Affinity - Photo (cheap Photoshop), Affinity - Vector (cheap illustrator) or Sketchapp?

They are so much cheaper than the Adobe creatieve suit that I’m seriously considering switching but it would be great if someone had experience with it.

Cheers

I havnt used those but I have pixelmator for mac and for what I use it for it's nice! It's a little bit of a learning curve using text but so far other stuff is about the same as Photoshop. My uses are photo edits and manipulations and the text for laying out custom wooden signs and transferring

Also, I'm a bit confused about vector illustration but I thought it was basically if you did live trace to a photo or I guess if you scanned a drawing. I found a phone app that does it Adobe Capture. It's free but not sure if a phone app would be what you want to use but thought I'd share in case.

Gerrit

Thread starter #4
Also, I'm a bit confused about vector illustration but I thought it was basically if you did live trace to a photo or I guess if you scanned a drawing. I found a phone app that does it Adobe Capture. It's free but not sure if a phone app would be what you want to use but thought I'd share in case.
Vector drawings have many purposes. I mostly use it for logo or icon design or alteration for webpages. I have Capture but it doesn’t really work on a phone. It maybe it’s better on a tablet. I will look into pixelmator for mac, I have Mac too so that works. Thanks!!

Gerrit

Thread starter #10
@Gerrit have you tried the program's you asked about? What have you been using?
I have been using Photoshop and Illustrator from Adobe. My fiancée uses these for her job and you can install them on a second computer. So now I use them for my job as a freelance web designer as well. I mostly use illustrator which I love. But our situation is going to change a lot when we move to my fiancées home country. I’d like a cheaper option. But I’m afraid to switch because everyone uses adobes programs. Which is why I’m looking for people with experience in these programs or others.
Did you have more of your work online somewhere where I can look at it?

https://miphotog.smugmug.com/Photo-Gallery/Rachels-
This should take you to my smugmug gallery. It's my mom's account but I'm an admin too. It's some of my picture's. I'm on Instagram. I don't post that often but there's a decent amount of my picture's. Most of my picture's are on my personal Facebook page.
I always used Photoshop till recently when the high Sierra update made my cs4 incompatible. I worked on my computer for a week trying to lookup anything that could tell me how to get it to work and I got it somewhat fixed but I had some urgent stuff to work on so I settled for pixelmator cause it was $30 and it did what I needed. You can save your work a a PDF. Jpeg. Png. Tiff. Photoshop. and theres an "other" option. I'm not sure about the photo editing quality yet. If I can't get what I want I send the picture to my phone and edit on snapseed or Adobe express. I found some other Adobe apps to do what I need but I prefer a desktop for certain things. When I contacted Adobe support and they told me they went to subscriptions I almost cried. I told him it was a rip off I use it for personal reasons even having updates always current that doesn't justify spending a monthly fee for it. Maybe if it didn't cost the price of a months mortgage payment people wouldn't try to steal it too much.... I'm don't ranting lol.

Gerrit

Thread starter #12
https://miphotog.smugmug.com/Photo-Gallery/Rachels-
When I contacted Adobe support and they told me they went to subscriptions I almost cried. I told him it was a rip off I use it for personal reasons even having updates always current that doesn't justify spending a monthly fee for it. Maybe if it didn't cost the price of a months mortgage payment people wouldn't try to steal it too much.... I'm don't ranting lol.
I agree. this is why there is space now for competition because people are unhappy with it. But it will take a second for the industry to catch up and accept alternatives to photoshop. But that's only important for the people who use it professionally.

@Gerrit This is the only graphic design job I have done and I did it for free for a friend thinking I might get some jobs. Well because he wanted to use a local t-shirt shop that didn't have the equipment to make this on a shirt or letting me fix it where it could be put on a shirt his opportunist friend made a new logo and he's using that. And now he has made deadlite an LLC and his friend is the business concept/ graphic designer ?
FB_IMG_1521049460173.jpg

Gerrit

Thread starter #16
@Gerrit This is the only graphic design job I have done and I did it for free for a friend thinking I might get some jobs. Well because he wanted to use a local t-shirt shop that didn't have the equipment to make this on a shirt or letting me fix it where it could be put on a shirt his opportunist friend made a new logo and he's using that. And now he has made deadlite an LLC and his friend is the business concept/ graphic designer ?
View attachment 14
Ah that sucks man. This looks fascinating. What was it for? Just gather your stuff and put it on a one pager website. Should be easy and then you can send show it to people which makes it easier to sell

Ah that sucks man. This looks fascinating. What was it for? Just gather your stuff and put it on a one pager website. Should be easy and then you can send show it to people which makes it easier to sell
It's for an I.R. light. It's someone who does paranormal investigations and he made this light that's supposed to make filming in the dark much better for video quality but I think it works like a inferred light. It's dark in person but on video it's really lit up. It's a really neat light actually and could probably be used outside paranormal investigations. His Facebook page is Deadlite. Check it out.
What is a one pager website? Lol would Instagram work?

Gerrit

Thread starter #20
It's for an I.R. light. It's someone who does paranormal investigations and he made this light that's supposed to make filming in the dark much better for video quality but I think it works like a inferred light. It's dark in person but on video it's really lit up. It's a really neat light actually and could probably be used outside paranormal investigations. His Facebook page is Deadlite. Check it out.
What is a one pager website? Lol would Instagram work?
Insta will absolutely work for marketing purposes. Promote yourself. Wordpress websites are pretty easy but it will take some research to actually make one. If you want a more serious website you can always develop it with a web designer but you should leave that for a moment that you want to transition into fully doing design maybe. A one pager is a simple website with just one page. The advantage is that you keep it small. Anyway keep it simple for yourself and if you want to expand you can let me know and I’ll tell you all about building your own website.