What's new

Act Your Age

Thread starter #1
I've lead a pretty rough life in 38 years. If I gave you all the details you'd probably be asking how I'm not a drug addict, homeless, or in prison. And honestly I can't give you a good reason why all of those things aren't true. I can however pinpoint a moment in which I decided to persevere.

My 2nd marriage. My wife was constantly unfaithful and unwilling to contribute in any meaningful way. I would work 12 - 14 hours a day, hang with my kids, write poetry, and drink myself to sleep every night. One night she came in and told me, "You need to give that up. You have a family. Act your age."

I was 30 years old, at the end of my rope, and had no true partner in life. This statement made that abundantly clear. For 2 years I held on to this comment. I reflected on it. My drinking increased, and my misery overtook me. I hated leaving my boys bc I knew what awaited me - I have 3 older kids from a previous marriage, and their mother does everything to keep me out of their lives - but after an arrest for assault when I was 32 I left.

There was no way I was going to pay child support for 5 kids and afford to live conventionally so I took a job driving long haul. My time with my children became more limited than ever, and I had to reflect on me - how do I become the best me I can be? what does acting my age look like?

I self published a poetry book in 2013. It wasn't edited as I couldn't afford to pay for editing, but I published it. I thinks it's sold 8 copies, idk. I don't really care at this point.

Since then I've been working on 2 novels and a collection of short stories. It takes me a while to write. I approach it like a gumbo. I get all the ideas in my head and let simmer for months or years, but this year I will be starting a podcast on self determination, and publishing the collection of short stories. I figured out acting my age is never giving up on dreams bc those that see that as a childish endeavor are living lives I don't want to live. I have some habits I need to kick. I have a job that turns my world upside down day to day, and it's difficult to find time to do extra projects sometimes. I need to eat better. To some I may look like a mess, but I just closed on a house and 9 acres, have a beautiful wife that I adore tremendously, and most importantly we both refuse to act our age together!

Teliah Gienger

I've lead a pretty rough life in 38 years. If I gave you all the details you'd probably be asking how I'm not a drug addict, homeless, or in prison. And honestly I can't give you a good reason why all of those things aren't true. I can however pinpoint a moment in which I decided to persevere.

My 2nd marriage. My wife was constantly unfaithful and unwilling to contribute in any meaningful way. I would work 12 - 14 hours a day, hang with my kids, write poetry, and drink myself to sleep every night. One night she came in and told me, "You need to give that up. You have a family. Act your age."

I was 30 years old, at the end of my rope, and had no true partner in life. This statement made that abundantly clear. For 2 years I held on to this comment. I reflected on it. My drinking increased, and my misery overtook me. I hated leaving my boys bc I knew what awaited me - I have 3 older kids from a previous marriage, and their mother does everything to keep me out of their lives - but after an arrest for assault when I was 32 I left.

There was no way I was going to pay child support for 5 kids and afford to live conventionally so I took a job driving long haul. My time with my children became more limited than ever, and I had to reflect on me - how do I become the best me I can be? what does acting my age look like?

I self published a poetry book in 2013. It wasn't edited as I couldn't afford to pay for editing, but I published it. I thinks it's sold 8 copies, idk. I don't really care at this point.

Since then I've been working on 2 novels and a collection of short stories. It takes me a while to write. I approach it like a gumbo. I get all the ideas in my head and let simmer for months or years, but this year I will be starting a podcast on self determination, and publishing the collection of short stories. I figured out acting my age is never giving up on dreams bc those that see that as a childish endeavor are living lives I don't want to live. I have some habits I need to kick. I have a job that turns my world upside down day to day, and it's difficult to find time to do extra projects sometimes. I need to eat better. To some I may look like a mess, but I just closed on a house and 9 acres, have a beautiful wife that I adore tremendously, and most importantly we both refuse to act our age together!
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story Tommy. You have had quite the life in a short 38 years. It's exciting to see your thought process through it all and I know that because of your story, you'll be able to help so many more through your writing and podcast. Keep it up!

Thread starter #3
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story Tommy. You have had quite the life in a short 38 years. It's exciting to see your thought process through it all and I know that because of your story, you'll be able to help so many more through your writing and podcast. Keep it up!

Thanks. That's all I can hope. I think that's why I spend so much time getting stories together. I want there to be substance to it.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member

Holy cow dude! This is a phenomenal story!

I just love the tenacity to keep pursuing the best version of yourself and your life...despite the circumstances!

"I figured out acting my age is never giving up on dreams bc those that see that as a childish endeavor are living lives I don't want to live"

What an incredibly true statement.

I'm very excited for your podcast to come out as well and help however. You'll definitely need to share it here!

Thread starter #6

I just love the tenacity to keep pursuing the best version of yourself and your life...despite the circumstances!

"I figured out acting my age is never giving up on dreams bc those that see that as a childish endeavor are living lives I don't want to live"

I'm very excited for your podcast to come out as well and help however. You'll definitely need to share it here!
My mom instilled strong will in me from a young age. She used to always tell me you can crawl into a corner and pee yourself, but don't expect me to join you. However, I'll help you if you wanna keep fighting.

Thread starter #7

My mom instilled strong will in me from a young age. She used to always tell me you can crawl into a corner and pee yourself, but don't expect me to join you. However, I'll help you if you wanna keep fighting.

Thread starter #8
When can we expect the podcast to launch? Or a novel to be published? haha
I'll be starting recording in June. I'll schedule the first episode to drop in early August. Shortly thereafter I'll release Nowhere's Path. Then I'll be finishing up The Willows Weep, and starting my next novel (untitled) - about a man whose daughter was found murdered by a serial killer and eventually becomes copycat killer to keep the investigation alive.