What's new

About My Mom: I thought this was appropriate

Thread starter #1
Today, I have a cool story to share. I think this story will resonate with a lot of people. It’s a story about my mom, Beth, and it starts when she was a teenager living in a small Louisiana town known as Moss Bluff.

In 1976 Beth was 13 years old. She was the third of four children. She had two older sisters, and a younger brother. Her dad was half Cherokee born in Mississippi, and he’d worked for PPG in Sulphur, Louisiana. Her mom had grown up in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and she was a stay at home mom.
These were different times. A one income household was typical, and easily sustainable. It was Leave it to Beaver-ville. My grandpa would get up at 4 A.M. My grandma would make him breakfast and coffee. He’d leave for work at 5:30, do his job, come home at 4 P.M., and dinner would be nearly done. Things were different.
One day Beth was visiting her oldest sister’s home a few miles away near the high school in Moss Bluff, and their new neighbor walked outside. This was Johnny, my dad. At 14 he was already six foot three inches tall. He had long straw-colored hair, and he had a lean rugged build. Beth was immediately struck. Beth, always a strong-willed child, knew what she liked; she liked Johnny.
Johnny was a shy kid. He was the middle of three boys. His eldest brother, always the playboy, flirted with Beth constantly to no avail. She was set on being Johnny’s girl, and eventually – many advances later – she got what she wanted.
Johnny and Beth dated for several years, and in 1978 Beth became pregnant at 16 years old. She now lived in Reeves, Louisiana, and high school pregnancies were shameful in small town America; especially in Louisiana.
Beth dropped out of high school and got a job. Her and Johnny soon married and moved into a tiny 2 bedroom 1 bathroom pier and beam home set just off of a main highway in Moss Bluff.
August 1979 I was born.
Johnny continued his education, worked full time, and began attending McNeese State University in Lake Charles - about 15 miles from their home. Our time together as a family was limited, and my mom and myself spent a lot of time with her family while my dad was studying and working.
It wasn’t long before my grandma started putting ideas into my mom’s head. My mom soon believed that Johnny was going to meet “a nice educated girl that didn’t have a baby for him to be concerned with” and divorce was inevitable. She proposed the idea to save herself heart-ache, and Johnny agreed that if that was her wish he’d grant it her.
For a few years Beth bounced around from relationship to relationship, marrying two other times, moving us to Florida for a period, and giving birth to my brother before we ended up back in Moss Bluff when I was 4 years old. The economy was bad. Louisiana offered no opportunities. And Beth’s marriage was spiteful and rocky. Escape seemed to be her only hope.
After another divorce my mom and dad began dating again. They knew they had to get away from Moss Bluff, and they didn’t want outside influences interfering with their marriage again. They’d never wanted to get divorced after all.
It was now the summer of 1986. I was 6 years old. My parents sent me to Illinois to stay with my aunt for a couple of months. They moved to Dallas, found jobs, and got married.
Beth found a job working in the mailroom for a Workers’ Compensation Insurance company while my dad took on two construction jobs and a retail position for a lumber company. We lived in government assisted housing, attended a daycare, and scraped by with food – my mom going days without eating so that there was enough for the rest of the family.
This lifestyle seemed never-ending. We lived like this for years. I had no idea as to the struggles my parents were facing. My dad’s job had him jumping from store to store as he attempted to work his way through the ranks. He balanced construction jobs on nights and weekends, and my mom began to receive promotions for hard work and tenacious attitude.
I can’t give you an exact year, around 1990-91, K.M. Insurance sent Beth to train as a Claims Adjuster despite her never receiving a high school equivalent diploma or G.E.D. My dad was able to stop working several jobs, and in 1994, after having moved to Houston the previous year, we moved into a newly built home my parents had bought in Katy, Texas. I still remember going and watching the construction process and how exciting it was to finally be out of apartments. For the first time I’d have my own room, and we’d have some good memories at the house on Big Wells Dr in Sundown Glen Subdivision.
Owning their first home didn’t cure my mom of her work ethic or ambition to better our lives. She’s been requested to go to work for several major companies including K.B.R. and Haliburton. She’s launched herself from the little red-headed redneck in the mailroom to one of the top adjusters in Texas, and now she runs a Risk Management safety department. She’s gone from eating once or twice a week in a vaguely furnished 2 bedroom government run apartment in Dallas, Texas to making 6 figures a year and living in a beautiful custom home in Magnolia, Texas, and giving my dad the freedom to work in contractor sales 40 hrs a week instead of punishing himself to keep the family afloat from one week to another.
My mom, Beth, is an extraordinary woman. She’s lived a complicated but full life. She’s experienced highs and lows. And she is the epitome of success, and a Successful Dropout.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Haha love this man. You've got a gift for writing for sure...and I love the end. Your mom sounds kickass. Definitely a Successful Dropout!