What's new

A little about me

Thread starter #1
Hello successful drops!
I am 20 years-old and considering dropping out. Im in my second year of college and I will be graduating with my AA from my hometown community college at the end of this quarter. I grew up going to public school where I was always told that college was my next step in life. I mean my parents have had a college plan set up for me my whole life. It’s always been graduate high school with good grades, go to community college for 2 years, and then transfer to Central Washington University to get my bachelors. There were no other options, which was ok because I had no idea what I wanted to do anyway.
Well now I’m 2 years into college and still not sure exactly what I want to do, but finding that college isn’t the magic answer I've always been told it would be. I’ve been listening to the podcast and it has opened my mind to new pathways in life.
I love adventure!! I hike, rock climb, camp, kayak, you name it! Now I feel like its time for a new adventure in life, and one that’s my own path. I’d love to hear your storys!!

Jessica Sullivan

Gerrit

A familiair story. :) I hope you can find a good path to walk. But if anything college is a very expensive place to try and find it. Have you thought of ways to combine your passions with making money?

Thread starter #3
Very true!
I actually have put a decent amount of thought into creating a travel blog. I’m an avid hiker, rock climber, and all around outdoorswoman and when I was more active in the hiking community I was able to participate in some ambassadorship programs and sponsorships with some really inspirational gear companies. Which shows that if I really dedicate myself I can do it. I just have to stop holding myself back and that’s been my biggest barrier.
Also being 20 and living with my parents I feel a need to live the life they want for me, and while they support my outdoor “hobbies” they believe that’s all they should be and that college is the only real option...

Gerrit

Very true!
I actually have put a decent amount of thought into creating a travel blog. I’m an avid hiker, rock climber, and all around outdoorswoman and when I was more active in the hiking community I was able to participate in some ambassadorship programs and sponsorships with some really inspirational gear companies. Which shows that if I really dedicate myself I can do it. I just have to stop holding myself back and that’s been my biggest barrier.
Also being 20 and living with my parents I feel a need to live the life they want for me, and while they support my outdoor “hobbies” they believe that’s all they should be and that college is the only real option...
Maybe you can convince them a gap year is smart because paying all that money on a way to find what you love sounds ridiculous.
This main stream new news outlet https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/15/why-college-grads-cant-find-jobs-commentary.html
Could provide some useful arguments maybe.
You could always do an internship or two in your gap year. Look for a company that works with your passions and you hit two birds with one stone. Parents happy you take your search seriously without the fear of you directly dropping out and you can work on finding your direction

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Successful Dropout and thanks for sharing your story! You are doing it right...even by just questioning and exploring different opportunities. College is definitely not the best place to figure out what you want to do with your life and I'm sure you've realized that lol.

I'm also big into the outdoors, traveling, hiking, backpacking, snowboarding etc. Contemplated starting outdoor related businesses but found some other paths I was interested in. But a travel/adventure blog is not a bad thing to start regardless. It's all about providing value. For instance, educating readers on how to travel on a budget, maybe using credit card points and miles to travel many places for free.

Gerrit

Welcome to Successful Dropout and thanks for sharing your story! You are doing it right...even by just questioning and exploring different opportunities. College is definitely not the best place to figure out what you want to do with your life and I'm sure you've realized that lol.

I'm also big into the outdoors, traveling, hiking, backpacking, snowboarding etc. Contemplated starting outdoor related businesses but found some other paths I was interested in. But a travel/adventure blog is not a bad thing to start regardless. It's all about providing value. For instance, educating readers on how to travel on a budget, maybe using credit card points and miles to travel many places for free.
Yeah absolutely. I'd be interested in a guide how and where to hike in Washington State so I can find the best spots and be prepared when I will be there in 6 weeks! @Kylon also curious if you guys have any advise on that part. I'm really looking forward to it :D:D:D

Teliah Gienger

Hey Jess! Welcome to the forum!

I love the travel blog idea. That can be so beneficial! I hope that you seriously think about that, if nothing for a creative outlet. ;)

Also, gap years are a great way of taking time to figure out what you want to do and proving that maybe you don't NEED college to do it. And by proving, I mean to your parents, as it sounds like they may be the ones to convince? Either way, Kylon did an episode about presenting the idea dropping out to your parents in a smart way and its main point, was having a plan. I'll post the link here. ;)

I'm excited to see what you come up with and stay connected! We're here to help and give advice or bounce ideas off of. :)

https://successfuldropout.com/faf-how-to-convince-your-parents-to-let-you-drop-out-of-college/