Matt is originally from the Rocky Mountains in Idaho and moved to Miami after founding Daycation and leaving school at Brown Univesity. The goal was to get closer to the hotels Daycation was partnering with to begin building the company. Matt worked in hotels growing up in Idaho and always had a passion for architecture and hospitality. Matt left school after his first year at Brown where he took courses in economics, urban studies, math, business and philosophy.
I loved chatting with Matt and hearing his story. From the early days of building a startup, to dropping out of college, to hitting rock bottom (literally sleeping on rocks!)…it’s a familiar and inspiring story for many of us. I especially loved talking with Matt about acting from first principles…this is a habit you need to get into!
- Don’t give up even when the going gets really painful. I think perseverance is often overlooked as a key trait to success in entrepreneurship, lots of people quit too early.
- Enjoy the ride. Finding a mix or “balance” is important to keeping mentally and physically healthy, and also helps when keeping track of timeline.
- Go for it. Overthinking will lead to inaction.
- Surround yourself with people who have the “skills” or traits you’d like to emphasize in yourself. Hint: You will be spending a lot of time with your Co-Founders.
- Get to ramen profitable asap to have more peace of mind which will help in avoiding a scramble for investor dollars.
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.