What's new

You Should Have a Personal Pitch Deck

Thread starter #1
What is a personal pitch deck? In the briefest of explanations, it's a slideshow selling the reader on why they want to hire you. Everything from soft skills to past experience to endorsements has a slide.

How is this more effective than a resume?

1. If you have minimal experience you can really sell the person on your soft skills and life experience like I did in this pitch deck.

With only a 3-month, unpaid internship I was hired for a full-time marketing coordinator position with a start-up in Australia. How? I was able to convey my strong communication skills and self-directed nature (which was incredibly important as the role and company are 100% remote). And I showed my interest in the role in a subtle but highly visual way - I used the company colors and fonts throughout to show that I wasn't just shooting this same deck off to a dozen other companies.

2. You can tailor the viewers experience more extensively.

Not only can you make aesthetic changes with fonts and colors but you can also build different narratives into the deck depending on your end goal. I recently applied and was hired for a small part-time job that is much more sales oriented (this role is actually with AffliateFix and I was hired by our very own @Kylon so this doesn't just work with super edgy, ping-pong tables in the office types). Rather than clutter, my deck with multiple slides focused on my unschooling experience I cut it down to the basics, sold my soft-skills, added a nice endorsement as well as a relevant skills slide and re-branded in a calm blue. You can check that deck out here.

I by no means have the 'best' deck but when you combine a personal pitch deck with the right value proposition you can reach heights unattainable by blindly sending through a resume to be lost in the shuffle of HR.

If you're building a deck and want feedback shoot me a message!

Gerrit

I am pretty allergic to titles that tell me I need to have something :D but your story makes sense. I am already far past sending resumes and I think this is an interesting alternative, also good for freelancers sales pitches.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

Resumes are overrated now. Get creative like this and stand out!

Sam

This is awesome! I've not used a CV/resume for a few months now and have been thinking about approaching people for freelance work to diversify my income while getting my business off the ground. I want to explore this fairly soon, can you guys keep me accountable to put something together by the end of the month? 😉 Hey @Kylon, how awesome would an accountability section on the forum be? The whole community could support people in achieving their goals!

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
This is awesome! I've not used a CV/resume for a few months now and have been thinking about approaching people for freelance work to diversify my income while getting my business off the ground. I want to explore this fairly soon, can you guys keep me accountable to put something together by the end of the month? 😉 Hey @Kylon, how awesome would an accountability section on the forum be? The whole community could support people in achieving their goals!
I like it. In a way that's kind of what the follow along forum is all about...but there is no mechanism there for holding people accountable. You know how the forum works now, and that you can "sticky" posts to the top of forums with rules of conduct n such. If you think you could come up with a system for this and wanted to give it a shot, I can put you in charge of it and turn you into a moderator :)

Sam

I like it. In a way that's kind of what the follow along forum is all about...but there is no mechanism there for holding people accountable. You know how the forum works now, and that you can "sticky" posts to the top of forums with rules of conduct n such. If you think you could come up with a system for this and wanted to give it a shot, I can put you in charge of it and turn you into a moderator :)
Yeah I could see if I could put something like that together, could be pretty powerful!

What is a personal pitch deck? In the briefest of explanations, it's a slideshow selling the reader on why they want to hire you. Everything from soft skills to past experience to endorsements has a slide.

How is this more effective than a resume?

1. If you have minimal experience you can really sell the person on your soft skills and life experience like I did in this pitch deck.

With only a 3-month, unpaid internship I was hired for a full-time marketing coordinator position with a start-up in Australia. How? I was able to convey my strong communication skills and self-directed nature (which was incredibly important as the role and company are 100% remote). And I showed my interest in the role in a subtle but highly visual way - I used the company colors and fonts throughout to show that I wasn't just shooting this same deck off to a dozen other companies.

2. You can tailor the viewers experience more extensively.

Not only can you make aesthetic changes with fonts and colors but you can also build different narratives into the deck depending on your end goal. I recently applied and was hired for a small part-time job that is much more sales oriented (this role is actually with AffliateFix and I was hired by our very own @Kylon so this doesn't just work with super edgy, ping-pong tables in the office types). Rather than clutter, my deck with multiple slides focused on my unschooling experience I cut it down to the basics, sold my soft-skills, added a nice endorsement as well as a relevant skills slide and re-branded in a calm blue. You can check that deck out here.

I by no means have the 'best' deck but when you combine a personal pitch deck with the right value proposition you can reach heights unattainable by blindly sending through a resume to be lost in the shuffle of HR.

If you're building a deck and want feedback shoot me a message!
Can you show the slides you made that got you hired so we can have an example? :D

Thread starter #11
Can you show the slides you made that got you hired so we can have an example? :D
For sure!

Here's the deck that won @Kylon over on hiring me: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NO0A7rwrhiD6e09wF5HmwJiokL4NxPORoFy36hc-OAs/edit?usp=sharing

And here's the deck that won over my boss for my first job (except that I re-branded it w/the company colors and fonts: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ShWvypSRDnlmytvqOsZsAcW8VHK9168vPhvKJVLF3rw/edit?usp=sharing