What's new

The Unraveling of Dreams

Gerrit

Thread starter #1
Hi I'm Gerrit a freelance frontend webdeveloper from Rotterdam, the Netherlands born in '87 and I love dramatic titles

As a kid I had many dreams. Apparently according to my parents when everyone in kindergarten wanted to be a cop or a fireman I wanted to be the master thief. They were called into school because the teachers were wondering if something was wrong at our home. Turns out I just wanted to be the other character from the box of Lego's and I just thought the cop was the boring looking (surprise I called beardless men boring when I was 4y/ old ^_^).
Now that was just an afternoon dream crushed and nothing spectacular, but primary school squashed many alternative dreams that came along. My primary school was very fond of school loving kids and less fond of dreamers.
They drugged me with Ritalin to keep me inline and told me I was dumb until I aced some nationwide test, which they did not understand.
In high school it went fast, I wanted to become a high school PE teacher, pro-football-player (soccer), high school PE teacher again, rapper ( o dear ) music producer, writer and probably more.
I decided to make 'the smart choice' so I went to college to study Trade Management adjusted for Asia. Economic subjects + Japanese or Chinese. I didn't care. So when I got an offer to work at a studio to be a music producer I started rethinking my future and believing a dream that wasn't really supposed to be real. I switched majors to Entertainment Management. After recording 90% sh*t artist for a year or so I realized this visionary studio owner didn't understand music or business. Already having switched to the Entertainment side of business I got myself a job at a club/concert hall. Which mostly resulted in me and my friends being able to skip the cue and get in for free. The marketing job was mostly just bringing around flyers and free tickets to cool places around the city. In the meantime my major was BS. Not just a little bit, but total total crap. Literally the only thing I learned was some very very basic financial management. I'm pretty sure the first day on my first job I learned more. But I was having fun and I was fulfilling the social expectation of working towards a bachelors degree. Then in my third year it turned out my university had basically given away bachelor degrees to people they liked without them doing the proper work. So without providing any extra materials, classes or time their grading became four times as harsh and we had to know stuff for exams that we never learned or even knew we had to. Half the school dropped out, I held on for a few more months but then got a job offer from a friend that dropped out and moved to another country. Bye college. It was fun, a lot... I mean it. But an incredible waste of everyones time.
I wasn't on track yet, but leaving was the first good step. But what followed were a few more years of half-assed YOLO-ism. Good for very little. Ending up with a lonely and empty feeling and I made a decision that is unpopular in this day and age. I went to church to find God. The best decision I ever made. I got focus in life. Not long after that I met Kate and learned I love coding. Now I look back at what what I needed back then and mostly, I see an education system which doesn't engage active kids, but tells them if you follow all the rules life will be okay. They just don't tell you that the rules will change and that their rules only apply on the education life.
Goals for the future: a reformation in the education system for at least the western world and for us personally to work from anywhere on this beautiful planet.

Now I hope my little novel didn't bore you all to death, if you love code or are planning to start as a freelancer send me a message. I love to help out.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Haha great introduction Gert. I didn't know/remember half of that stuff about you but it's a very interested story! Haha I also thought the bad guys were way cooler than the cops growing up.

Excited to have you state-side soon! Also I think you and I can probably work together long term on this whole "reform the education system" venture. ;)

Woah @Gerrit!:eek: Your story is way more adventurous than I thought.
REFORMATION IN EDUCATION SYSTEM!
Another thing you and I have in common. Whenever I think about the system it gives me chills. In India, it's a lot dirtier than any other country. There are a large amount of student suicide cases recorded in India than any other country due to parental pressure for scoring high marks in the entrance exam for entering Engineering field. In India, they say "Young people first complete their engineering degrees than they think about what they want to do in their life." But growing up I have been on the conformist obedient student side. But looking back I can see clearly how much harm it has done to my overall mental health and my self-esteem.

It is going to be ‘easy’ to present a better education product. It’s going to be hard to change the education culture
That's true. It might take time for the regular people to know what lies underneath the system is not applicable anymore and it is rather harmful to the new generation given that all left-brain works are getting automated and market needs more and more creative right-brain people for which the system is not made.