What's new

Hi from Australia

Connor

Thread starter #1
Hi there,

My name is Connor, and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I currently work as a freelance photographer as well as photographer for a school photography company. I'm a new dad to my 6-month old son, Theo, and am made about cooking, baking and being generally creative. I am a dropout (went to university for 4 weeks!) and was also home-schooled for a year and a half when I was 13 (most amazing 18 months travelling!).
I'm recently started listening to the Successful Dropout podcast, after I ran out of episodes on my favourite podcast (Creative Pep Talk) and loveee it. I think I listened to 10 episodes in 2 days and cannot get enough. I'm joining the forum to be continually inspired and meet new people. I'm bit stuck between passions and business ideas to chase right now and balancing an income to support my family, so I'm trying to do as much 'just-in-time' learning as I can to see where the future is going to take me.
Anyway, hi everyone! Speak to you soon!

Connor
www.connorstephen.com

Last edited:

Gerrit

Welcome Connor! Great to hear we have another cooking enthusiast in the house. Now I'm very curious about those 18 months of homeschooling and traveling. Where did you go? How did your parents handle schooling you during that time?

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Conner! Hey man, welcome to the forum!

10 episodes in 10 days, haha. That's amazing.

I was also homeschooled, so grateful for that.

Checked out your website and liked in on FB. Great photography! My sister and some of my best friends are photographers.

Also love that you are practicing JITL (Just In Time Learning)!

cvans

Hey @Connor , welcome to the forums!

So is Perth really as awesome as everyone says? ;)
I hear it's been elected the most livable city in the world, many times over.

Anyway, love your website and your pictures. You should start a follow-along to document your self-improvement journey and get some regular feedback and support from all of us!

Teliah Gienger

Hey @Connor welcome!

We have been wanting to travel to Australia for a while now! I really want to go to New Zealand. :)

Yes, I have to ask that same question...what were those 18 months like? How did you parents handle traveling and schooling? Where did you go? What did you learn? :)

Great to have you here!

Connor

Thread starter #6
Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies, so great to hear from you all :)
I was homeschooled from the age of 12 until about 13 and a half (grade 8, part of grade 9). My parents bought a camper trailer, so we drove the whole way round Australia, as well as a couple of months backpacking around Europe. It was pretty amazing and the best school year I ever had. My mum worked as we went round (she's a midwife) and my dad was on long service leave, so he was teacher to myself and younger brother (along with the teachers we had on the phone). We stayed in some pretty remote places, often days away from the closest town / water supply. I'll never forget camping in the very north point of queensland (far north east of Aus), as at night we could hear crocodiles thrashing in the water nearby, and so much wildlife being around in the day. And no other people in sight!
As for Perth, it is a great place to live... I've been to a lot of beaches in my time, and Perth is very hard to beat. Plus the beautiful weather and proximity to wine country.... can't go wrong hahaha. My profile pic was taken in a town just out of Perth, where we get fields full with canola flowers for a few months every year, which is one of my favourite places around Perth.

Thanks so much for all your interest and replies. I would love to document the things I'm learning and growing and get some honest advise! I'm thinking of starting a new side project/business involving food and baking, so that might be what I have to share :p Cheers everyone!