What's new

Help ;-;

Ssofrito

Thread starter #1
I found that college was not doing it for me. I had switched from major to major to major trying to find the one that would light the fire to drive me forward. I never found it and I thought I did when I started double majoring Liberal Studies and Arts Management. I was allowed great mobility to take a variety of classes from Mental Illness and Child Development Psychology to Macro/Micro Economics in business and art management to studying and comparing vegan diets to diets all over the world. I have studied it all and while all of it was interesting, it was nothing I hadn't already learned and researched on my own before. I found my mind was no longer stimulated by the social aspects of a classroom or even the material my professors were offering.

During this time, I was concocting different artistic projects that would become public art and challenge people to think differently, to question their lives and to look toward artists as the shakers and movers and nothing makes me feel more alive then putting up art that people can interact with and become friends with the people they meet there because they met looking at my art and had a common connection to the art. It's such a great experience.

The only problem? My family does not like that I have become so fond of art and sees it as a waste of time, money and want me to become a lawyer or pharmacist and something they had said really messed me up. If I drop out, they promise to kick me out and if I don't get a BA degree and my dream of being an artist fails me, then what am I gonna do?

Gerrit

I just responded to your other post, but I feel like my past can help a little. When I was 16-22 I had the dream of becoming a music producer. When I was 19 I changed my major to Media & Entertainment Management after I got hired at a studio to be a music producer. I thought I was on the path of becoming a music producer, just because I made some music and someone was willing to hire me. But I had no plan to promote my art or to improve my skills. A friend of mine commented on that at the time saying he would become a paid EDM dj within a few years and he had a plan to do it. I was insulted at the time because I didn't regard him as an artist. But he did it and I didn't. His story is simple. He got himself the skills to make okay music, networked like crazy and all according to a plan he had made. You seem to know very well what you want and where you want to be.
Draw yourself a plan to get there. Write down who you should meet and what you want to learn to make your dream happen. Your parents only freak out because they believe a BA is the only way to success. You are creative with words right? So maybe you can find an internship as a copywriter and at the same time start a blog about your art. Maybe follow a few courses in writing on Coursera, Udemy or Lynda. (this stuff is cheap or for free) If you are looking for more visual forms of art you could go to these same sites and pick courses that teach you how to draw, illustrate and use a computer to make it digital. Which would also give you skills lots of companies would pay you for. There are sooo many ways of not spending so much money and time on college. You "just" need to show your parents you have a serious plan which includes making the world a better place for POC and woman and at the same time will still provide you income. Any form of art has a commercial equivalent that can help you survive, do well and develop yourself until your art itself makes you enough money. All I can advise is to show your parents you have a plan and that you can do it. I know it's not easy so good luck.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
I just responded to your other post, but I feel like my past can help a little. When I was 16-22 I had the dream of becoming a music producer. When I was 19 I changed my major to Media & Entertainment Management after I got hired at a studio to be a music producer. I thought I was on the path of becoming a music producer, just because I made some music and someone was willing to hire me. But I had no plan to promote my art or to improve my skills. A friend of mine commented on that at the time saying he would become a paid EDM dj within a few years and he had a plan to do it. I was insulted at the time because I didn't regard him as an artist. But he did it and I didn't. His story is simple. He got himself the skills to make okay music, networked like crazy and all according to a plan he had made. You seem to know very well what you want and where you want to be.
Draw yourself a plan to get there. Write down who you should meet and what you want to learn to make your dream happen. Your parents only freak out because they believe a BA is the only way to success. You are creative with words right? So maybe you can find an internship as a copywriter and at the same time start a blog about your art. Maybe follow a few courses in writing on Coursera, Udemy or Lynda. (this stuff is cheap or for free) If you are looking for more visual forms of art you could go to these same sites and pick courses that teach you how to draw, illustrate and use a computer to make it digital. Which would also give you skills lots of companies would pay you for. There are sooo many ways of not spending so much money and time on college. You "just" need to show your parents you have a serious plan which includes making the world a better place for POC and woman and at the same time will still provide you income. Any form of art has a commercial equivalent that can help you survive, do well and develop yourself until your art itself makes you enough money. All I can advise is to show your parents you have a plan and that you can do it. I know it's not easy so good luck.
Fantastic advice

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
I found that college was not doing it for me. I had switched from major to major to major trying to find the one that would light the fire to drive me forward. I never found it and I thought I did when I started double majoring Liberal Studies and Arts Management. I was allowed great mobility to take a variety of classes from Mental Illness and Child Development Psychology to Macro/Micro Economics in business and art management to studying and comparing vegan diets to diets all over the world. I have studied it all and while all of it was interesting, it was nothing I hadn't already learned and researched on my own before. I found my mind was no longer stimulated by the social aspects of a classroom or even the material my professors were offering.

During this time, I was concocting different artistic projects that would become public art and challenge people to think differently, to question their lives and to look toward artists as the shakers and movers and nothing makes me feel more alive then putting up art that people can interact with and become friends with the people they meet there because they met looking at my art and had a common connection to the art. It's such a great experience.

The only problem? My family does not like that I have become so fond of art and sees it as a waste of time, money and want me to become a lawyer or pharmacist and something they had said really messed me up. If I drop out, they promise to kick me out and if I don't get a BA degree and my dream of being an artist fails me, then what am I gonna do?
Thanks for sharing where you are at.

Really it just sounds like your parents want you to be as well off in life as possible, and to at least be able to take care of your basic human needs. This is normal and it's hard to blame them for that. Having said that...becoming a lawyer or a pharmacist is not the only way to do this.

On the flip side, making a living by creating art is not a walk in the park either. I can tell you that from personal experience. For years I was in a band and my aspiration was to be a professional, well paid and well known musician. We toured all over the US, recorded various albums, made some money, got some fans, and even recorded an album with Jack Johnson's producer down in LA. In the end, even after many months of touring and playing and pouring our hearts into it...we were barely making enough to scrape by and we really weren't that famous. In order to keep playing music we started a few businesses over the years. Our day job was building these businesses so that we could pay the bills and actually earn so that we could go and make music and tour in our spare time. That worked beautifully for a long time, but eventually we all realized that our priorities had changed and we stopped playing and touring as much. Now we are all on our way to being successful entrepreneurs in various aspects.

My point with all of that is, art in general is very saturated, and so unless you are one of the lucky few to break out immediately, it will take time to get noticed enough to be able to make a living from it and do that full time. If you still want to be able to support yourself and take care of your basic needs while you grow your art career, you will need to build skills and a career in a field that pays right away. Freelancing may be a good way for you to go, because then you can work and earn on your own time, so that you have the maximum flexibility to work on your art whenever possible. It may take months or years of you grinding away at your art as a side hustle until you are doing well enough to make that your full time gig. But if it's that important to you, you'll do whatever it takes.

In short, it may be shortsighted to drop out with the expectation that you can make a living by just doing art right away. You will most likely need to find something else to support you while you build your art, so that one day you CAN transition to being an artist full time. :)