What's new

Hello there - Web Developer from India!

Thread starter #1
Hey everyone.

Dropped out after 4-5 months of thinking and convincing my self that i can do it.

So, this is my story..

I was an above average student until college. I am from India and there is this norm in society that a student who choose science is brilliant and everyone must do engineering. If you don't do that people will judge you and for a long time this is the situation and it still is. Your parents will force you to take engineering. So, since i was 15, I liked computers and man i was crazy about it. When my father gave me first PC within 3-4 months i did almost every experiments i could with the OS and what not. I was crazy about playing games, installing and understanding different OS and how they work etc. I did not have internet so i used to buy Windows 7, Ubuntu bootable CD so i can mess around.

I wanted to learn programming and build stuff. With that in mind and all the hype about IT industry i took ( Information and Communication Technology ) in reputed college of our state. I met so many intelligent people there. I don't know when and why i totally lost my interest in academics. Instead of projects i was doing theory works. Courses were not up to date with industry and my grades started to decrease. At the same time i learned that it's okay to be different and learn something new by yourself. So i explored a bit in area of Web & Mobile Development. In the end i settled up for Web Dev and started learning but for me it was so hard to manage my grades and learn something else. I stopped going to lecture by the second semester. Occasionally i would go just for the sake of attendance. Because in Private colleges of India attendance matters and if you can't fulfil the 70-80% criteria you can't give final exam or professor will simply cut your grades because you did not attended lectures. In between managing my grades i cleared 3 years and i was in final year but my grades were still on the edge. If my grades are not minimum then they would simply kick me out of college and i can't face my parents like this who spend so much money on me for my education. That fear kept me going but i just couldn't improve my grades.

So, in final year and still low grades. Even i was wondering how i survived. For the final year project i did my best but my other team members left the project in between and whole project was on me. The project was big enough which could take 5-6 months easily but we were suppose to complete in max 3 months all with maintaining academics. I was doing the back end part and by the time i completed back end it was end of internship. Now i was working under a professor as an on campus intern and building a web platform for college. They asked me to complete it and in which i did my part and i was not willing to spend some more months because i had some important plans ahead and i also needed to do a year extra to complete my graduation requirement. I said no the professor and college admin and later when i gave presentation they intentionally did wrong to me and gave " F " me in that 12 credit internship. Because of that i could not complete my minimum requirement for that year. I already decided in the starting of last semester that i won't continue because of hefty fees and there was some financial problem so i already decided not to continue the degree. Irony is i was still gonna let go from university because of low grades.

I never learned real good programming in my college. I learned it all by myself. Now i think that why even i took admission in first place. The syllabus is so old and they are still teaching it. When i applied for a developer job i did not knew much because the kind of syllabus they teach you will not be enough for the job you are applying because it is all outdated and not industry standard. I learned it hard way.

Then i used my time to learn and think this situation through. Hardest part was convincing parents that it is okay to do this and i can still make a living out of it.

I am doing a little bit fine now but i still have so much to learn and i have some amazing plans for future.

Thread starter #3
Currently I am learning some advance web development and i have a front end dev position at a stratup. For future, i will do freelance development and may be work in stratups because that is where you are going to learn everything needed. Then may be my own startup.

Gerrit

Well welcome here Prashant! Always good to have fellow webdevelopers here. I'm also a front-ender looking into diving deeper into back-end stuff.
Do you have a portfolio or a place where I can see your work?

Thread starter #5
Hi gerrit.
Actually in between college and self learning i never built up my own website but i am working on it now. I was always learning from here and there and after the tutorials i always try to built the project by my self. Initially i was into back-end dev but i realized i need to improve in front end so currently i am completing freecodecamp basic projects without any frameworks. Just few days back i learned Flexbox & Grid from WesBos.

My Codepen account
My GitHub account.

I built a little online store in wesbos react course. Here is the link.

After all the tutorials now it feels like i need to work on real projects so working on that.

cvans

Welcome Prashant! That family pressure sounds tough as nails, man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Web development is a very interesting and potentially lucrative career path though! What's your (backend) stack?

Gerrit

I see on your codepen that you already did Colt Steele’s Web Dev Bootcamp awesome!
Looking forward to see your website!

@prashant880 Hey man! It felt like I was reading my own story. Haha! I'm a freelance web developer too. Right now, I have patched up with an agency for whom I develop front-end part of websites using VueJs(NuxtJs). It would be awesome to know more about you man. Ping me up on facebook sometime. :)