What's new

Hello from Durham, NC! I'm April!

Thread starter #1
Hey SD Fam!
Some of you probably know me from the Facebook group!
I’m April, from Durham NC! Although I’m not a legit dropout, since earning my Fine Arts degree at UNC-Charlotte, I’ve come to learn about the ideas of unschooling and self-directed learning over the past 2 years. I love it!
After applying 7 times in total and creating multiple portfolios of work over a few years, I finally managed to land a job as a studio artist at an incredible art company that creates work for hotels all over the world. This setup also allows me to listen to tons of podcasts while I create, which is how I found Successful Dropout! Although my time in college did help me grow as an artist (mostly due to the availability of resources), I can’t deny that forcing myself to learn on my own outside of school and my intense determination/persistence helped me get to where I am today. Two things that school did not teach me.
I also dance constantly in all kinds of styles. It's the best stress reliever! I’ve been on 4 dance crews over the past several years and became one of the founders of the crew I’m currently on. We’re working on our 3rd concept video right now! (Check us out on Youtube if you’d like: Trinity Dance NC). I’ve really found a home in the NC dance community. They’re supportive and inspiring much like all of you!
My other interests include:
-Learning about Voluntaryist ideologies/Austrian economics
-Entrepreneurship
-Unschooling
-Crypto (still quite a beginner)
-Paleo/Primal Nutrition
-Holistic/Functional Medicine
-Hiking outdoors or really anything outdoors: yoga, skateboarding, etc.
-My adorable pet cactus named Cecil
Some of you might know me as the girl that always posts random art pieces in the Facebook group! My world view is very visual, so I like to create work that helps others in their pursuits or to offer inspiration. In addition to learning from all you awesome high-performing individuals, I’d like to offer any creative help if someone needs it! I’m always looking for new projects and ways to connect, collaborate, and problem solve.
Thank you again for being such a welcoming and inspiring community. I’m elated to have found like-minded individuals who are HUNGRY for growth.
Much love to you all <3
As Kylon always says:
“Stay hungry, Stay foolish”

I LOVE your art!!! You're so crazy talented, and it's such a wonderful talent to have! I also subscribed to your youtube channel, your videos are super cool!
Also, while I don't have a pet cactus, I do have a succulent plant I got a month ago, and it's the only plant that hasn't died on me! Haven't named it yet, I should get on that...

Thread starter #4
Omg!!! Thank you so much! Literally that just made my day. I'll be sure to tell the crew that you subscribed! They'll be so excited.
Oooooo I'm new to succulents as well. You should totally name it! I have legitimate birthday celebrations for my cactus, Cecil. <hahaha> I know, so strange. But, I know myself well enough to know at this point in my life I wouldn't be able to adequately support anything beyond a plant. So Cecil is the little light of my life right now.
What type of succulent do you have???

Sam

Staff member
Omg!!! Thank you so much! Literally that just made my day. I'll be sure to tell the crew that you subscribed! They'll be so excited.
Oooooo I'm new to succulents as well. You should totally name it! I have legitimate birthday celebrations for my cactus, Cecil. <hahaha> I know, so strange. But, I know myself well enough to know at this point in my life I wouldn't be able to adequately support anything beyond a plant. So Cecil is the little light of my life right now.
What type of succulent do you have???
This is very funny and incredibly wholesome ?