What's new

Hello from China!

Thread starter #1
Hey, I’m Maya! I was homeschooled my whole life, and a few years ago I decided to skip college in favor of a self-directed education. Right now I’m living in Nanjing, China, and I’m teaching English at a local kindergarten.

I love language and literature, and I’ve always known that I want to be a writer. I’m still figuring out what exactly that means to me, but for now I’m posting regularly on my blog, which you can find at mayalanders.com/blog.

I look forward to being part of this group!

Thread starter #5
Oh man that’s awesome!! You’ll love it — Austin is honestly the best place I’ve ever been.
I LOVED being homeschooled. The homeschooling community in Austin is fantastic — huge and diverse and welcoming! I drifted away from most of the homeschooly activities (co-ops, park days, etc) as I got older, but I’d be happy to recommend homeschool groups that are still active!

Gerrit

Oh man that’s awesome!! You’ll love it — Austin is honestly the best place I’ve ever been.
I LOVED being homeschooled. The homeschooling community in Austin is fantastic — huge and diverse and welcoming! I drifted away from most of the homeschooly activities (co-ops, park days, etc) as I got older, but I’d be happy to recommend homeschool groups that are still active!
That would be really really awesome. Also, I just read one of your blog post “on strangers and kindness” and it’s pretty amazing to read how helpful they are. I’ve lived in the Czech Republic for 3 Years were people are blatantly racist and in the Netherlands my home country, where people hide their bigotry a little. Dutch people are mostly friendly but would probably not hold up an umbrella for a stranger.

Thread starter #7
I’ve been amazed too! I knew I’d stand out here, but I had no idea that I’d be met with such kindness!
Do you still live in the Czech Republic? What’s bringing you to Austin?

Gerrit

I’ve been amazed too! I knew I’d stand out here, but I had no idea that I’d be met with such kindness!
Do you still live in the Czech Republic? What’s bringing you to Austin?
I've moved back to the Netherlands because in CZ I met my American fiancée (she was teaching English there). I wanted to introduce her to my culture, family and friends for two years before we move closer to her family who live in Austin and Houston. We liked Austin the most when we visited Texas.

Thread starter #11
I've moved back to the Netherlands because in CZ I met my American fiancée (she was teaching English there). I wanted to introduce her to my culture, family and friends for two years before we move closer to her family who live in Austin and Houston. We liked Austin the most when we visited Texas.
That’s really cool! Austin is a great place.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I’m Maya! I was homeschooled my whole life, and a few years ago I decided to skip college in favor of a self-directed education. Right now I’m living in Nanjing, China, and I’m teaching English at a local kindergarten.

I love language and literature, and I’ve always known that I want to be a writer. I’m still figuring out what exactly that means to me, but for now I’m posting regularly on my blog, which you can find at mayalanders.com/blog.

I look forward to being part of this group!
Hey @Maya Landers and welcome! I like your blog. Definitely feel free to share some of your posts here as well. We also accept guests posts on the Successful Dropout Blog. if you are interested in that please let @Teliah Gienger know. We would love to host some of your writing here.

I was homeschooled almost all of my life too. Homeschoolers for the win! haha

What do you like most about China?

Sam

Staff member
I was homeschooled all the way up until High School too! I feel a Homeschooler's group coming along... Welcome Maya! Love the blog, also read that latest post. Love that too! I second @Gerrit, put your stuff in the Follow Along thread, I update mine daily with my latest vlogs :) You can check them out in the 'Entrepreneur Path' thread.

Thread starter #14
Hey @Maya Landers and welcome! I like your blog. Definitely feel free to share some of your posts here as well. We also accept guests posts on the Successful Dropout Blog. if you are interested in that please let @Teliah Gienger know. We would love to host some of your writing here.

I was homeschooled almost all of my life too. Homeschoolers for the win! haha

What do you like most about China?
Thanks! I’d love to post on the Successful Dropouts blog! I’ll get in touch with Teliah.

Haha that’s awesome!! Homeschooling is the best!

Oh man, that’s a hard question! I really love being somewhere that’s so different from home (and I’m even in a pretty Westernized area!). I’ve only lived here a month so far, but I’m already rethinking many of the things I took for granted at home.

Thread starter #15
T
I was homeschooled all the way up until High School too! I feel a Homeschooler's group coming along... Welcome Maya! Love the blog, also read that latest post. Love that too! I second @Gerrit, put your stuff in the Follow Along thread, I update mine daily with my latest vlogs :) You can check them out in the 'Entrepreneur Path' thread.
That’s so cool! I love meeting other homeschoolers in the wild, haha.

Oh thanks for the tip! I look forward to checking out your vlogs!

Teliah Gienger

Welcome to the forum Maya!

I know some people that are over in China teaching English as well...how cool!

Can I jump on this homeschooler train? I was homeschooled from 5th - 8th grade and loved it!