What's new

Hello everyone! I'm.. too ambitious?

Abner R.

Thread starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Abner a sophomore at the University of Nevada Reno. I began listening to the podcast in January and it has become a must listen for me ever since. Growing up I always wanted to grow and develop a business venture, I wanted to strive for success, better myself in every way possible, and learn as much as i possibly could. I graduated high school in 2016 then decided i would take some time to better understand myself and relax. But that didn't last very long.. I began to read self improvement books and watch documentaries on very important and powerful people. Not only that, but i was eager to challenge myself and become the greatest me possible. That was when I knew i had to get back into school. My first semester at UNR I had the time of my life, everything i learned i could implement in my own life in an infinite amount of ways. Core humanities on the development of ancient civilization gave me new ways to understand our current society and culture and i began to apply what i learned right away. Now.. I know this site has much to do with the idea of not having to go to school to be successful, and i agree 100%. However I also believe school is such a useful tool for those who understand it well enough to apply teachings almost universally. Anyway, I began a blog while still in high school that had about 300 readers monthly for about 4 months.I stopped walking down that path because i became interested in real estate, soon after that i was eager to start a media marketing campaign, then i wanted to run for student council until i found there was no money there, and now im venturing into amazon fba and here is where i am beginning to tame my ambition.

So I consider myself to be in the process of taming my ambition. You might wonder how that's possible or maybe already have an idea about how you'll reply to my post. Maybe something along the lines of "You're all wrong kiddo! You need to harness and even INCREASE your ambition!". Well here's my problem, I am continuously thinking of new ideas and following new paths to the point where I stop midway and never fully develop a great idea because I'm quickly finding myself chasing a new one. So now im applying myself 110% to amazon fba, and i think many other people in this world have the same issue of not sticking to one idea and following through with it. I am extremely excited to find what i can do by dedicating all my energy to only one idea for however long it takes for me to master it.

Gerrit

You sound like my brother. He already made up 10 great business ideas the last year. Got pretty far developing each one and then found a new thing he should do. For now he is still working at a corporation and they love him. But nothing he makes there is his in the end. And none of his ideas have been made into reality so I would say no, don’t temper your ambition, but focus. Pick one thing and stick with it. Maybe find someone to do it with so that person can hold you accountable.

Abner R.

Thread starter #3
You sound like my brother. He already made up 10 great business ideas the last year. Got pretty far developing each one and then found a new thing he should do. For now he is still working at a corporation and they love him. But nothing he makes there is his in the end. And none of his ideas have been made into reality so I would say no, don’t temper your ambition, but focus. Pick one thing and stick with it. Maybe find someone to do it with so that person can hold you accountable.
Thanks for the feed back. I understand where you're coming from and i agree with having to focus on one particular idea. My ambition is to have several different sources of income, so sticking to one thing often makes it hard to fulfill that ambition. However, i do see the benefits of sticking to one thing until it is mature enough for me to then begin the next venture.

Gerrit

Yeah
Thanks for the feed back. I understand where you're coming from and i agree with having to focus on one particular idea. My ambition is to have several different sources of income, so sticking to one thing often makes it hard to fulfill that ambition. However, i do see the benefits of sticking to one thing until it is mature enough for me to then begin the next venture.
funny enough my other brother has 4 business ventures (webdesign, wall paintings, graffiti workshops, woodworking) he build them in that order as well. It makes for an always interesting life.

Gerrit

Yeah
funny enough my other brother has 4 business ventures (webdesign, wall paintings, graffiti workshops, woodworking) he build them in that order as well. It makes for an always interesting life.

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @Abner R. !

Welcome to SD man.

Thanks for sharing your story.

In regards to Amazon FBA, keep an eye out for the next episode. @rob was on and he is killing it with FBA. We go pretty in depth there.

@Gerrit is right, focus is key. A good acronym for this is

Focus
(on)
One
Course
Until
Success

I get where you are coming from because I've struggled with that too. "Shiny object syndrome". Getting started on one thing and then chasing the next before it gets far enough along to be successful. I've been able to mitigate negative consequences to this so far by just having good business partners, teams, and systems...so that I can pursue multiple things at once. But starting out with your first business this may not be a great idea. I didn't do anything but focus on my first business for the first two years and that gave it enough time to grow and mature a bit.

Sometimes we have to learn to say no to opportunity in order to keep building the thing we started with.

When trying to figure out what you want to do, it also may help to not think in terms of "what kind of success do I want? What do I want to have?" and more in terms of "what kind of struggle do I want, what kind of challenge do I want?". Everything you start will be exciting in the beginning...but inevitably it's going to get challenging and you will need to push through the tough times in order to build something great. That's why it can be helpful to identify what you should do, by what kind of struggle you are willing to take on in order to build it. Hope that makes sense.

Glad to see you here! :)

I can relate to this in some ways! I actually found a ted talk that gave me a word for this called: multi-potentialyte (spl?). It was a pretty good ted talk too! Look it up! It’s not a bad thing to be interested or pursue many things. But I agree with @Kylon sometimes you have to say “no” to some opportunities to follow through with others. However I’m still a big advocate for “positive quitting”. If a venture ever starts to feel like your soul is dying then definitely quit and try something different.
But with any opportunity there will be struggle. Kind of like relationships. They’re all sunshine and rainbows right at the beginning, but then you settle in after a while and the real work begins, which can be hard but still rewarding. Some ppl are quick to leave. But with a lot of self introspection you can determine whether it’s something so special to you, that you would be willing to work through the struggles.
Maybe give a trial period for each venture, and at the end of that period you assess and see if it’s worth continuing. That may help?
Best of luck on all your endeavors!!!

Schn17eck

I think it depends on your aims currently. Are you in the learning/self-building phase? Focusing on 2-3 things at once is still focus. Are you trying to eat based on your work? That's when you need to focus on one thing.

If you are at the stage of focusing on one thing - make it an obsession. I used to be told to stop talking about investing by my friends/roommates. I broke it off with friends & girlfriends to pursue my obsession. I let my health go. Not recommending this, but it can give you the sense of the mentality for obsession.

Once you master a skill, you can pick another to work on. It doesn't have to be a frantic jump from one project to another. You can keep your first skill on autopilot while you develop your next skill. This is how I've operated since 2008 and it's worked pretty well.

@abner I have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing. More so when I was younger but not as much anymore. What seems to make a difference is whatever I'm working on has to be something I want to do and finding what I love doing and little more life experience and patience.