What's new

founding OpenClassroom - the open marketplace for local learning

cvans

Thread starter #22
Thanks Sam!

Talking about pressing for solutions, there's been another, rather obvious problem with the company so far: the name. Well, not the name itself, because those two words communicate exactly what I want to communicate: as in an open marketplace where anybody can start a classroom. Which is why I registered OpenClassroom.io as the domain.

But there's a problem because there is another company that operates underopenclassrooms.com.And that sucks.

Initially, I thought this would not be as much of a problem, because openclassrooms.com used to only be in French, and only sell online coding courses; a very different business in a different market. But they've since grown quite substantially, and they're now selling all kinds of courses online, and all in English. So now the possibility for confusion is definitely there and that's both bad for business and a liability, because of the looming threat of a legal dispute.

So we're going to have to change our name. :confused:

"What's in a name?" You ask. "Surely, that which we call rose, by any other word, would smell as sweet. So OpenClassroom would, were it not OpenClassroom call'd, retain that dear perfection which it owes without that title."

And that may be true, but it's still pretty hard to find a good name. At this point, I have considered hundreds, possibly even a few thousand different names. I'm looking for a name that's memorable, short, simple, easy to pronounce, unique in the education space, preferably descriptive, but with some meaning at the very least, (i.e. not 'the purple cockatoo').

And I think I've finally come up with a new name that meets all these standards and that I can be happy with. I still have to run it by the team before we decide on it and disclose it to you, though. In the mean time, feel free to brainstorm on a cool name alternative if you're feeling creative ;)

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Sam!

Talking about pressing for solutions, there's been another, rather obvious problem with the company so far: the name. Well, not the name itself, because those two words communicate exactly what I want to communicate: as in an open marketplace where anybody can start a classroom. Which is why I registered OpenClassroom.io as the domain.

But there's a problem because there is another company that operates underopenclassrooms.com.And that sucks.

Initially, I thought this would not be as much of a problem, because openclassrooms.com used to only be in French, and only sell online coding courses; a very different business in a different market. But they've since grown quite substantially, and they're now selling all kinds of courses online, and all in English. So now the possibility for confusion is definitely there and that's both bad for business and a liability, because of the looming threat of a legal dispute.

"What's in a name?" You ask. "Surely, that which we call rose, by any other word, would smell as sweet. So OpenClassroom would, were it not OpenClassroom call'd, retain that dear perfection which it owes without that title."

And that may be true, but it's still pretty hard to find a good name. At this point, I have considered hundreds, possibly even a few thousand different names. I'm looking for a name that's memorable, short, simple, easy to pronounce, unique in the education space, preferably descriptive, but with some meaning at the very least, (i.e. not 'the purple cockatoo').

And I think I've finally come up with a new name that meets all these standards and that I can be happy with. I still have to run it by the team before we decide on it and disclose it to you, though. In the mean time, feel free to brainstorm on a cool name alternative if you're feeling creative ;)
First of all man, so sorry for all the issues you are having getting into the country....but I do love your mentality around it...and that's what's going to get you through it at the end of the day.

lol and with the name change...I know it sucks...welcome to the club! Such is the life of an entrepreneur. Rest assured knowing that you are in good company. Just today the startup I'm working on had to make a major pivot - we can no longer raise funds or operate for the time being in the US. So we are moving everything offshore. Ultimately it's just a speed bump...but it's an annoying one.

I still think what you are building has a TON of potential and will also align nicely with a global shift in the way people approach education. Can't wait to hear the new name!

Please continue to keep us updated. I love following your journey as it is real and raw. We'll see if we can brainstorm some new names for you! haha

Sam

Staff member
First of all man, so sorry for all the issues you are having getting into the country....but I do love your mentality around it...and that's what's going to get you through it at the end of the day.

lol and with the name change...I know it sucks...welcome to the club! Such is the life of an entrepreneur. Rest assured knowing that you are in good company. Just today the startup I'm working on had to make a major pivot - we can no longer raise funds or operate for the time being in the US. So we are moving everything offshore. Ultimately it's just a speed bump...but it's an annoying one.

I still think what you are building has a TON of potential and will also align nicely with a global shift in the way people approach education. Can't wait to hear the new name!

Please continue to keep us updated. I love following your journey as it is real and raw. We'll see if we can brainstorm some new names for you! haha
Great input Kylon!

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Sam!

The name issue can be an absolute pain, glad to hear your hard work for alternatives could be about to pay off! Excited to see what you've come up with!

cvans

Thread starter #26
Thanks for the encouragement, guys, I really appreciate it!

Just today the startup I'm working on had to make a major pivot - we can no longer raise funds or operate for the time being in the US. So we are moving everything offshore. Ultimately it's just a speed bump...but it's an annoying one.
:oops: wow, that is next level. Sounds like a sh**storm only the federal government could be responsible for.

cvans

Thread starter #27
Alright, before we get rid of OpenClassroom as a name altogether, I want you guys to see and appreciate the awesome logo that my multi-talented front-end developer & all-round web designer Gerrit made for it (based on a sketch of mine).

Schermafbeelding 2018-04-14 om 19.47.33.png

It would have been a great brand identity and I'm so sorry that it will now never reach a large audience. Sad...

Luckily, I know that Gerrit will do just as great of a job with the new name, logo and brand identity. Stay tuned for the reveal :)

Sam

Staff member
Alright, before we get rid of OpenClassroom as a name altogether, I want you guys to see and appreciate the awesome logo that my multi-talented front-end developer & all-round web designer Gerritmade for it (based on a sketch of mine).

View attachment 6

It would have been a great brand identity and I'm so sorry that it will now never reach a large audience. Sad...

Luckily, I know that Gerrit will do just as great of a job with the new name, logo and brand identity. Stay tuned for the reveal :)
Nice work @Gerrit! Pumped for the reveal @cvans!

Teliah Gienger

Alright, before we get rid of OpenClassroom as a name altogether, I want you guys to see and appreciate the awesome logo that my multi-talented front-end developer & all-round web designer Gerritmade for it (based on a sketch of mine).

View attachment 6

That looks so good! Thanks for sharing it...and yea, I'm excited to see the reveal for the new name!!

View attachment 6

This one looks cool @Gerrit! I am excited to know the new name and more than that for the alpha version. Can't wait! :D