What's new

Dropped out 3 times!

Thread starter #1
From Ohio. You have many 38 yr old's in this community? I was a single parent at 22 and believed I needed a college degree to be successful only I didn't know what I wanted to do. First time I went to some technical college for a year. Couldn't stand going through the basic math and English classes and I could not understand most the other classes. 4 years later enrolled for night classes in graphic design and my first semester was scheduled for 2 day classes and 1 night and when I asked about it I was told they don't offer the full time night classes now. Quit my job and got through a little over year. I was set up for failure from the start with several lies.

I work a full time job that requires a degree to be promoted in most jobs. I'm going through classes to get my real estate license currently.

Gerrit

You just mentioned another thing I hate about college and school in general. A externally compiled list of courses which are often on totally different levels and without any eye for the students learning it. Real estate sounds interesting btw how did you figure out you liked to do that?

Thread starter #3
I'm not %100 sure I do like it lol. I have thought about it for many years and about 4 years ago I applied for a job at Huff not realizing it was for a realtor. It had a free personality test based on being a realtor and I got a call from the broker and found out I had to get licensed and he told me the best school to go through. The school was an hour away from me so I didn't go but I thought about and researched it and I looked up the school again and they do online classes now. I really like historical houses and getting to see new places also basically be my own boss and I have found the whole field interesting and the classes are only 4 classes and you take the exam then get signed up with a broker and they usually give you the training you need for post education. No classes on stuff you don't need and the school is helpful and gives you opportunities to get lined up with a broker if you can't find one.

Thread starter #5
Thank you! I found the podcast during a perfect time for what I was going through. I had said a long time the college is overrated but I didn't know there was such a huge community out there. I was talking to people at work about most degrees not teaching anything you really use on the job but to move up in the company in pretty much any position it required a degree. Now the business is growing kinda fast they are offering jobs that so not require one but it's all I heard about during a recent interview process.

I could write forever about this and my experiences. Haha this podcast and a few others have changed how I think and has been a huge help to me. It's hard to listen to at work because I get so pumped and want to quit my job and put all my focus on my real estate classes and my small side hustle.

Gerrit

I could write forever about this and my experiences. Haha this podcast and a few others have changed how I think and has been a huge help to me. It's hard to listen to at work because I get so pumped and want to quit my job and put all my focus on my real estate classes and my small side hustle.
You should write forever. I feel that helps both you and the person who reads your posts. I would love to hear more about your plans for your side hustle. Maybe you could share it in the follow along journey part?

Kylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @Rachel! Welcome to Successful Dropout!

One thing is for sure...you made the right choice joining a community like this, and you are already doing the right thing by searching for what's next in your life and not being satisfied with the status quo.

Real estate can be a very good profession to get into, and yes you can get your license online. My business partner just did that.

You should DEFINITELY start a thread in the Follow Along forum if you haven't already (I'm going to go check right now haha). @Gerrit is right, not only will continuing to write about your journey give you more clarity and help you sort through things, but it will help other people...plus this community can help hold you accountable!

Thread starter #8
Ok I will start a thread on that forum :)
I have kept so busy for a few months I barely have time to reply to a text lol but I just finished up my last handmade rustic sign that I promised and I'm going to focus on my classes. I drove for uber last summer for a few months to pay for real estate classes in cash and I still haven't finished. I had picked up a caretaker job on the side for several months for a group of paranormal investigators at an old school 10 mins away from me. It was such an experience and met some great people and making signs for extra cash and in 3 months or less my husband and I will be DEBT FREE!!! We are Dave Ramsey followers also☺

Gerrit

It was such an experience and met some great people and making signs for extra cash and in 3 months or less my husband and I will be DEBT FREE!!! We are Dave Ramsey followers also☺
Dave Ramsey has some great stuff! I like his book. Anyway your life seems to be super interesting. Looking forward to read more about it.

Sam

Staff member
You should write forever. I feel that helps both you and the person who reads your posts. I would love to hear more about your plans for your side hustle. Maybe you could share it in the follow along journey part?
Yes! @Rachel you should totally contribute to the follow-along thread. Thanks for sharing about yourself. Amazing introspection, awesome to have you on board here :)