Derek Magill is a college dropout, marketer, business strategist, career expert, and author. After dropping The University of Michigan during his sophomore year Derek started a marketing company that went on to generate millions of dollars in business for his clients.
He is currently the Director of Marketing at Praxis, which is a revolutionary nine-month intellectual and real life education program geared towards young entrepreneurs, dropouts, and gap years students. He also just released his new book “How to Get Any Job You Want”.
Time Stamped Notes
- 00:12 Kylon’s intro
- 01:35 Derek introduces Praxis
- 03:60 Why join Praxis?
- 05:50 College limitations
- 07:30 Who should drop out?
- 12:30 The myth of college
- 14:30 Building résumé vs value propositions
- 18:25 How to Get Any Job You Want
- 20:45 Why Derek dropped out
- 23:35 Family response
- 25:00 Friend’s responses
- 27:00 Advice for family response
- 29:30 Derek’s first months after the dropout
- 32:25 Entrance into marketing
- 39:35 Create and Learn
- 40:55 Derek’s worst entrepreneurial moment
- 44:00 What he would say to his younger self
- 47:40 Personal habits for success
- 49:38 What is success?
- 53:28 Recommended books
- 57:50 Derek’s last pieces of advice to potential dropouts
- 01:02:40 Kylon’s outro
4 Key Points
- Create a network of relationships with people beyond your level of personal experience to diversify the amount of advice and guidance you receive.
- Distinguish yourself by creating a value proposition. Use a document that states how you are equipped to add value to the company.
- Learn to accept upsetting those who are close to you – it’s gonna happen!
- Don’t be afraid – learn on the job, make mistakes, and start projects early enough to fail – mistakes are part of the process!
- Derek is the Director of Marketing at Praxis
- derekmagill.com/successfuldropout – Derek’s gift to Successful Dropout Nation!
- Derek’s Free Book
- UnderTech – A company that Derek created a Facebook advertisement for
- The Power of Habit
- The Fountainhead – One of Derek’s favorite books
- The End of Jobs – Another book recommended by Derek
- Four Hour Workweek – Aaaand another!
- Here’s two more: Education of Millionaires, and Last Safe Investment
- Google Calendar – Internet resource Derek uses for scheduling and organization
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.